Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wandering Monsters

What I Would Like
I am trying to make a game with elements of different games but I haven't been able to find the one I'm looking for anywhere at the moment. I want my "monsters" (that have the first line comment "mon") to wander around the map. It is based on the battle system of most MMORPG's where they run around, BUT is more based around the Runescape system. Most often a monster will leave you alone until you attack it OR it will attack you whatever level you are. I want my monsters to come towards me when I am a lower level than a 2nd line comment stating the number BUT I want it to run away when I'm above or equal to that number.
This is what the first 2 lines of the "monsters" event code would look like.
@>Comment: mon
@>Comment: 67
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/azza3809/unseen.gif[/IMG]
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/a ... toward.gif[/IMG]
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/a ... e_away.gif[/IMG]
I would also like when the battle's over for the monster killed to re-spawn in it's original position. If needed can you also post instructions of how to implement it into my game, maybe even a demo? I have no idea if this is even possible since I have no experience with RGSS but I would like to thank anyone who helps in advance, even if the script isn't quite what I'm looking for.
ALSO...just in case you need yo know the tiles are default size, 32 x 32, which means 4 full squares away is 128 pixels.

The Runescape Battle System
"Monsters" are given a level, and it's stats are based around it. A monster (if set to be violent) will go towards and attack anyone that is lower than twice it's own level. Once you get to twice it's level it will leave you alone. Some that are set to always violent will attack anyone at any level until they kill about 30 of them. A "monster" that is un-violent will do nothing. It will just walk around aimlessly is it's set circle.

Why do you put ""s round "monster"?
For those of you wondering, the reason I'm putting the ""s round the word "monster" is because not all the "monsters" in my game are actually "monsters". Some are human, elf, dwarf, gnomes...things like that.

OS

Sponsor

This is easy if you want the default or a pre-scripted battle system to activate on Player-"Monster" contact. So, if that is the case, I'll take a shot at it. I need the practice.

In case I'm not clear, I mean if a Battle System activates when the player touches the monster or vice versa. Otherwise, I can't do it. Not fond of Battle Systems.

EDIT: Man, I really wish my Browser would update automatically. I didn't see that post...lemme know if you want my help, though.

Elias;303720 said:
I would start with Mr. Mo's SBABS. It has some of what you want in it.
Even though it is excellent on it's own level they aren't really what I'm looking for. As I said in my original post I want to implement many different game areas which includes a FF battle system. So really I need it to go to a certain battle too. Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction though =D

OptimistShadow;303721 said:
This is easy if you want the default or a pre-scripted battle system to activate on Player-"Monster" contact. So, if that is the case, I'll take a shot at it. I need the practice.

In case I'm not clear, I mean if a Battle System activates when the player touches the monster or vice versa. Otherwise, I can't do it. Not fond of Battle Systems.

EDIT: Man, I really wish my Browser would update automatically. I didn't see that post...lemme know if you want my help, though.
Yes that is ALMOST what I but I want to put the goblin/other "monster" back to it's original position when it's killed. Can you do that?

OS

Sponsor

Depends. Do you want a definable timer to wait for respawn, or do you want it to respawn the instant it is defeated.

Definable Timer:
Pros - Allows you to set a Wait Time before respawning, and allows the player to escape from potential battle loops, and has a Default time of say 5 seconds (which is easily changed)
Cons - Adds one more variable for you to put in the comments

Instant Respawn:
Pros - Well, I guess the monster comes back...
Cons - The player has no time to run from a monster that respawns if they battle near the spawn point. If the player gets too close to a monster's spawn point, and the player is weaker than the monster, the player may have to battle the monster several times before breaking free.

I will script it either way. Should be fairly easy.

OS

Sponsor

Right, Regimos has posted View Range. With a bit of eventing, it does exactly what you want, but I'll try to make it easier for you by writing the script.

Getting started.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.