Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] Multiple Tilesets

Niiice looks pretty sweet.  :thumb: Maybe now we'll start seeing some tilesets for VX. I havent seen ANY complete ones since release.  :crazy:

Mazoku":1z7f7y9y said:
Niiice looks pretty sweet.  :thumb: Maybe now we'll start seeing some tilesets for VX. I havent seen ANY complete ones since release.  :crazy:
So true... so true... Oh the agony...
  -KRoP

I found a "bug" (or rather an unexpected behavior):

I have a world map and a town map, each with its own tileset. The hero starts in the World Map. In the town map I set up an event that uses a tile from the Town TileE, but in game it is displayed using the World Map TileE.

I worked around it having a different file with the graphics for the events, but is kind of anoying to have to maintain two sets of the same graphic.

Anyway, still a god send! I have been having a lot of fun and very few sleep with this  :smile: good work  :thumb:

Rafael

I'm still having a bit of trouble with this.... its been working just fine up until I made my newest map. Now suddenly, all the wrong tiles for some reason show for several of my areas.... it looks kinda like a mess, I can provide screenshots if needed^^; Was there something else I was suppose to do aside from your instructions?

In game, I always have the "Loaded" Tileset, regardless of what I selected as the custom Tilesets. :dead: I don't think I did anything wrong. Could you help me, please? Thanks!

This script is really great and good.
As maker, was the open mouth when
saw.
Great script Pocci, it is worth noting you is a great Scripter.
Keep it up.

It works perfect for me. Need to find some tilesets now lol. I thought I would try and explain the showing of tilesets better to everyone since your explanation didnt help me lol.

Ok When you load a tileset it will show up on ALL maps but dont edit any maps except the ones you loaded it for it only works on thoughs.

Example would be you use the default tileset for map1 and a diffrent tileset for map2. now you load map 2's tileset. All of the default stuff is replaced on both map 1 and 2 even though you only picked map 2 for the new tileset. Dont worry, if you want to work on map 1 again just reload that tileset. DONT make changes to map 1 when map 2's tileset is loaded, of course unless they have the same tileset. In VX it will look like you Have one map right and one map wrong, but dont worry again. When you play the game it will load the right tileset for each map.

Hope that helps.

I just found a bug with actual tileset editor program.

When you go to the Edit Map's Tilesets window, it will give you a list of the maps in your game, along with the map ID number in front of the map name. Here's an example:

001 Overworld
  002 Town 1
    004 Inn
    005 Shop
  003 Town 2
    006 Pub

When you go through the maps above, you can assign tilesets to each map. Let's assume I assign the following tilesets to each map

001 Overworld - Overworld Tileset
002 Town 1 -    Town Tileset
004 Inn -          Inn Tileset
005 Shop -      Shop Tileset
003 Town 2 -    Town Tileset
006 Pub -        Inn Tileset

When I go into RPG Makes VX to create my maps, I will have access to all the right tilesets. However, when I go in to play test my game, not all the maps will be assigned the correct tilesets. When assigning tilesets to a map in the actual game, the script assigns tilesets to maps by ID number, not how they are actually ordered in your game. To use the example above, the Overworld map and Town 1 map will have the correct tilesets because their ID numbers correspond with their order in the list. The next map (Inn) is Map ID #4, but is third down on the list. What will happen in the game is that Town 2 (which had Map ID #3) will show up with tiles from the Inn Tileset because it is set to the map third down on the list. Likewise, the Inn map will have the Shop tileset in the game, and Shop will have the Town tileset in the game. The Pub will have the correct tileset because its map ID number is the same as its placement in the list.

To put it much simpler, if your maps are not placed in numeric order by their map IDs in your game, your tilesets will be all screwed up when you actually play the game.

This isn't necessarily a hard thing to do, but it makes it difficult for people like me who like to organize their maps in a Windows File Folder type format so I can find them easier, as I now have to keep the maps in the order I created them.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who's encountered the same problem. Other than this, I've had no problems with the script and it has helped add all sorts of dimensions to my game. I guess a fix to this problem isn't necessarily needed, but if Poccil or anyone else has a fix for it, it would be much appreciated.

Drykul

This script worked great for me after I figured out how to use it. One feature that would be a tremendous benefit to it would be to add 4 way passability back into it. I know of another script that added 4 way passability, but the editor crashes every time I run it.

Well, I think i got it work... a bit. Because It messes up everything in my first line under the walls :S
Well, I will keep trying.. Is the problem with my tileset size? I edited the TileA3 only, to double size. But I will keep trying, it must be my fault, to choose something bad...
But I can't understand this thing at all  :grin:

Ireng

I really am having trouble here. I surfed the whole internet looking for a way to fix this before posting here.
I followed the instructions to the bottom line in the setup, extracted everything in its respective folder, checked around one hundred thousand times that everything is alright. But every time I open the Tileset Editor it crashes instantly, though its properly in my project folder with the ini file and the script in the data, the pictures in Pictures and the tilesets in Graphics.
My VX version is 1.00 by the way.

Look at what I've done using poccil's multiple tileset and other script. You can set different troops encounter in different terrain and set their battlebacks. You can also make a damaging tile using this.

here's the link to the site.
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32307

To set the damaging tile you should make an event. Set the terrain tag first of the tile that you want to make a damage when the player step on it(ex. a poison tile, terrain tag is 10). Then create a parallel event and make a conditional branch and call the script(For what I've done I will use this: $game_map.terrain_tag($game_player.x, $game_player.y) == 10). And then Flash screen and Change Player HP. That's it. You have a damaging tile.
Here's what it will look like:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $game_map.terrain_tag($game_player.x, $game_player.y) == 10
@>Flash Screen: (204,51,204,255), @30, Wait
@>Change HP: Entire Party, -100
@>
: Else
@>
: Branch End
@>

Rya

I was hoping someone would make a script like this. Very useful, considering how annoying VX's limitations are. Wonderful work.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.