Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] In-Depth Quest Script

I've had an idea for months now of a game to do in RPG Maker VX, and now that it's finally out I can do it!

My idea is a mainly quest-based game. It would be similar to World of Warcraft's quest system...but different lol. I'll explain.

Okay, you have a main quest menu. In this menu, every quest you can get is shown...but ones you don't have will show up as "????" for the title, and maybe have the qualifications to get the quest if you highlight/click on it.

But the catch is that there are different regions in the game. So let's say you start of on Terran Isle, where you have a few introductory, tutorial quests. Since you have arrived at Terran Isle, you now have all of the Terran Isle quests in your quest log. But like I said, ones you haven't accepted yet just show up as question marks.

Also in your quest log, it shows the current Quest Points, or "QP" you have. There are two figures though, one is the Quest Points for Terran Isle, and one is your total accumulated Quest Points.

You obtain QP from completing quests (obviously), and depending on what region the quest is in, that will determine to what region those quest points go. But of course, QP will always be added into your TQP (Total Quest Points) as well.

Now, when I say the game will be quest-based, here is what I mean. Say there are 5 quests under your Terran Isle region quest log (which is the only region you have at the beginning). The quests part of the quest log will look something like this:

____????
____????

____????
____????
------------------

The quests highlighted in yellow (the color doesn't really matter) are the ones that you qualify to accept.

You would probably have the quest log taking up most of the left side, a small bar up top that gives you help on whatever you are highlighting and also shows your QP for the region and your total QP, maybe a map in a square in the upper right corner that highlights what region you are currently in, and in the bottom right corner is your menu.

In the menu you could probably pick:

------------------------

Picking Exit will take you back to the menu.

Picking Region will take you up to the map where you can move the cursor around to the different regions you have discovered, and as you highlight it it will show you the name of the region and the QP you have for that region, and if you click on a region on the map, it will move your cursor over to the first quest on your list in that region.

If you pick Quests, you will go to the quest list on the left side of the screen I mentioned earlier. How it works, is that either you will be able to manually expand and collapse the region headings, or they will all be open at all times...I'm not sure on this yet.

But anyway, what happens is that you can move your cursor up and down the quest list. If you push confirm on a ???? quest, it will tell you the requirements in a window which is maybe in the lower left corner or something. It will tell you how many QP you need, and where the person is.

If you click on a quest that you have accepted, it will expand to show the required items or whatever. Example:

______3/5 Blue Slimes killed
______1/3 Slime Goo
____????
____????
____????
____????
-----------------------

I know this is a LOT of information...and probably poorly written and with not enough examples lol. There's probably more that I need to say, but it's late right now haha.

I can draw up an example if anyone is actually interested in doing this for me. If you are interested, just PM me, post here, or both.

Plsthx  :grin:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.