Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

+ [ VX Caterpillar System ] +

Caterpillar System
Version 1.0
by Woratana
Release Date: 16/02/2009

Introduction
It's just that one day I feel like scripting caterpillar system. I've never done it before, and it would teach me something.

So I tried, and here is the result.

It's probably need more work to make it perfect. :P Because I think my algorithm so far is not the best one.
Please let me know if you find any bugs. ^^/

Enjoy~^^

Features
Version 1.0
- Unlimited following members
- Switch to hide/show following members temporarily

Screenshots
caterpillar10.jpg

Script
I decided to keep script on my blog. So it won't have conflict with any site's rule I post this topic.
http://boxsuke.exteen.com/20090216/vx-c ... y-woratana

Instruction
- Setup script in the SETUP part
- The complete instruction is included in the script

Author's Notes
Free for use in your work if credit is included.
If you want to post it on any forum, please link to this topic.

Bug Report?
Please give me these informations:
- What is it says in error window?
- When is it get error? (Right after run game, when you choose something, etc.)
- What have you changed in setting part?
- Do you have any other scripts running in your game that may crash with this script?

nice script, thank you very much!. :smile:
But I have a question ... Just like FF8, can I control the other members by event like "move up"," move down", "turn left", "turn right", etc ...
(sorry about my bad english ...)

That's because you used switch 2. To change the switch, go to the script and where it says caterpillar, change the number to whatever switch you want. I was a bit skeptical about the script because I couldn't make sense of the screenie, but this really is a great script. Well done Worotana! :thumb:

@Tavek
As boredom said. :D

@Boredom
Thanks for helping me here. ^^

@Acrox999
Party member follows you on map. That's what it's basically is. :D

Does anyone has suggestion about the next version?

This is a great script. It is not getting the kind of response it deserves. I have a suggestion. Maybe you could add a feature that allows you to choose exactly how many party members are following behind you. As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that in the current version of the script, and that is the only thing that bummed me out about the script. :cry: Other than that, it really is a superb script. :thumb:

@Acrox99
It's not working with PRABS?
Well, PRABS probably edited a lot of scripts. Try putting this script below PR ABS and see what happen.

@joshuaalanhargreaves
Thanks. ^^ I will do that in next version of the script.

@EvilEagles
My plan (may be not in next release) is making following characters that you can push them around, and they will follow you in random order. It's a little hard to make though. I will need some time to try the algorithm.

@tevak
Is it because other extra scripts?

Updated to version 2!!

#--------------------------------------------------------------
# â—¦ Update:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
# â–¡ Version 2.0 (29/02/2009)
# - Fix direction bug
# - Fix vehicle bug
# - Add max following members
# â–¡ Version 1.5 (17/02/2009)
# - Fix dash bug
# - More compatible with script that edit Spriteset_Map.create_characters

I have a question: How do you change the people following you into players/events? So if I wanted an animation to hit them, not the player, how would I do that?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.