Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] Breath of Fire 3 - Dragon Gene System

I think this is a cool system, but I'd like to know a couple things:

1.) How do you get genes? I have the script set up on my game, but I have no genes to use.

2.) If you select the wrong genes you want, then back out of the menu, you'll lose the MP that the Genes totaled.

Aural C.E.
I think this is a cool system, but I'd like to know a couple things:

1.) How do you get genes? I have the script set up on my game, but I have no genes to use.

2.) If you select the wrong genes you want, then back out of the menu, you'll lose the MP that the Genes totaled.

1 - This is not really a plug in and play script. With some work though, its not too bad, check the following instructions:
  • The simplest thing to do for each gene is to copy the gain gene event on the demo and place that crystal within your own game.
  • You need to ensure the Accession skill is skill no 5 in your database
  • You need to ensure the Reverse skill is skill no 14 in your database
  • You need to copy the dragon class (classes 8 - 24), make sure they are in the same place as my classes
  • You need to copy the dragon states (states 17 - 33), make sure they are in the same place as my classes
  • You need to copy the dragon class (classes 8 - 24), make sure they are in the same place as my classes
  • Tywin_Dragon_Genes lines 555 - 631, edit these with the skills you want each dragon to learn, just replace the skill id in the brackets
  • Tywin_Dragon_Genes line 684, the line
    self.set_graphic("Actor5_dot", 2, "Actor2", 0)
    change the graphic to whatever the graphic of your user is
That should sort you out

2 - This bug has been fixed, version 1.2 added, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

busbuzz
That and icons for the genes would make it just perfect, no way to make it better.

Will do this for 1.3 (1.2 already added to fix a bug)

Wow ... and here I was attemping to make this system for XP ... xD
Do you mind if I just translate this to XP instead? xD

Ah! I see. Thanks. I saw the crystals during playtest, but didn't know that they would attribute to the Genes. Thanks for pointing them out.

@vpcdmd: I'm a firm believer in open-source! all i ask is that if you find the script useful in your work, a little credit would be nice!

@Aural C.E: A much, much more user-friendly version of this script should hopefully be added during/after the weekend

Youre my favorite scripter ^^ and ull be my favorite for the rest of the time!!! yay!! BOFIII is my second favorite game, but my first favorite is old and doesnt have a great system as BOFIII has. i think it has so many features making the game so intresting.

WOW unbelivable mine is phantasy star IV im a PS lover lol i cryied when Alys (PS4) and nei (PSII) died ... i was a kid ok? Phantasy star II is my 3rd

Lol were about the same age, its cool seeing some1 who thinks the way i do about games. youre cool dude

cheers!

if i was a scripter i would be doing the same or helping complete the whole system, too bad i can only cheer u up lol

I grew up on phantasy star and the old ones! lol

anyway, back to form.........

Version 1.3 released
Cleaned up the code. Now more user friendly.
Mp damage from genes now shown each turn.
Now a couple of different dragon colors.
Added animation for gene splicing.

Ta-dah!

I knew i forgot to do something last night! sorry guys, in the process of moving house, will fix link tonight for definite

EDIT: Download link should work now

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.