Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] - Breath of Fire 3 - Custom Skills

Setting up the Pilfer skill

step 1
Create a new element called steal and make a note of its id

step 2
Go into Tywin_BOF_Skills script and find this line:
@steal_element        = 17
change the 17 to the number of the element in your database.

step 3
to set up items to steal from enemies find the following lines in the Tywin_BOF_Skills script:
    steal = Steal.new(0, 1, 1, 1, 100)
    steal_array.push(steal)
    steal = Steal.new(1, 2, 2, 1, 100)
    steal_array.push(steal)
    steal = Steal.new(2, 3, 3, 1, 100)
    steal_array.push(steal)

copy the last 2 lines to create a new steal.

step 4
steal = Steal.new(2,3,3,1,100)
  • the first number (2) -> this is the steal id, each steal id must be unique, so the next steal you set up with have a value of 3.
  • the second number(3) -> the id of the enemy in the database that you want the character to steal from. Change this to the id of the enemy you are setting up the steal for.
  • the third number(3) -> the kind of item you want to steal. In this case 1 -> Item, 2 -> Weapon, 3 -> Armor
  • the fourth number(1) -> the id of the item, weapon or armor you want the enemy to hold on to
  • the final number(100) -> the percentage chance of stealing the item.

step 5
Rinse and repeat to set up new steals.

step 6
Make a new skill and give it the steal element.

Brilliant. But guess what, now I have another problem.

When I try to test out the steal skill via Battle Test (under the Troops label in the database) I get an error message saying:

Script 'Tywin_BOF_Skills' line 524: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'enemies_to_steal_from' for nil:NilClass

How do I solve this?

hey man, you can't actually test this script in battle test (or many other scripts for that matter)

You see, in order to start up the script you need to run the new game command. You can save after that and then load games.
To test the script, set up a battle event on the first map you have and everything should work for you then

Would it be possible to make a skill like "regen" from this? In case you don't know what regen is, it's an ability that lets the person gain HP gradually, basically the opposite of poison.

I don't know where Tywin is, but does anyone know if there's a way to have the weretiger skill without actually changing into the weretiger sprite? In other words, just a regular character with a berserk ability.

Tywin is still having connection problems and must post from work (which is hectic!) software releases can be demanding!

I am going to be on VERY irregularly until broadband finally gets to my section of ireland, i will look into this tonight, it will involve changing one line of code for you.

Will hopefully have that for you tomorrow.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.