Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX]Adventure item system

Hello! I'll do my best to describe what I mean by "adventure item system."

Basically what I'm looking for is something that helps add that "use this on this" feel of old adventure games, while still feeling RPGish. The best way I thought of doing this without some cumbersome script and interface is to use a lot less cumbersome script and interface. What I want is for the X, Y, and Z buttons (which default to the A, S and D keys on your keyboard) to all act like use keys (the thing you use to talk to people). The difference is that the XYZ buttons should temporarily turn on a switch, and once the event is finished turn it back off.

The switches should correspond to the number of the item in the database that the player has set to one of those keys ahead of time. The ideal way for this to happen is that, when the player hits a button, let's say R (default W), it opens up a special item menu that only shows the items this works with (with potions and equipment and such not showing up), set either by a note on the item or an element ID or whatever, either works for me. The player would then tap the X, Y, or Z button while the cursor's on one of the items, and it would be selected to that button.

Finally, I would also like a GUI to go along with this, but just something very simple. Basically I want the three selected items' icons to be displayed in the lower or upper right corner, perhaps overlayed on top of the letter of the button it's assigned to. It's even better if these can be toggled on and off by use of the L button (default Q) or if it's displayed translucently.

Thank you in advance to anyone who tries this. You will of course be credited if you do this. I don't think it's terribly complex, despite the four hundred something words above, and every aspect of this script has been done in some way before, just not in any way I can use together like this.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.