Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Visual Enhancement + Screen effects

Untra

Sponsor

Visual Enhancement + screen effects
I was wondering if there is a script to add some advanced screen effects to games so that we can create more complex and (possibly) some pretty trippy cutscenes.

What I'm looking for:
Screen Boil
There are a series of things I want to see this script influence. Most of them are effects from SNES games that used them as enhancers to their gameplay. The first example I want to use is from SMW: Yoshis island, from the level touch fuzzy, get dizzy. The effect would cause all map layer tiles along the Y axis(except the event layer unless the event is set to display 'always on top' (which will allow the 4th layering to bypass), and including the panorama layer) to move up and down in increments of 32 pixels every second, moving the effect outwards across the screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpc9LmHe1ZU
Skip to 1:03 to see the effects
What I'm looking for is similar to that. , however in the example shown it moves the spaces not by the tiles, but by every pixel. This could also be attempted in the script, however I think that it could cause to much lag.

Screen Pixelate
The next thing I'm looking for is a means to make the screen pixelate, and be able to choose whether or not to include the event layer in the process. By pixelate, I mean the screen, over time, looks for the most common colored pixel every set of pixels and colors the entire set that pixel, creating a pixely blur out effect, which can be used either slowly to create an imaginative transition, or quickly to distract players in a fast paced action environment. Heres a good example of how it would perform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6yn5SNSc4&feature=related
This time, the effect is rather immediate.This effect can also be witnessed in the 'touch fuzzy get dizzy' video above.

I'm unsure as to of this can be done or not, but if these two things can be achieved, then I believe that some more advanced and interesting cutscenes can be developed from them. If possible, lets have this SDK compatible, eh?

To be honest... this is kind of simple. If you gave me an hour, I could do that kind of thing with an event system. You don't need scripts and from what I'm seeing here, an event of this would probably run smoother.
Try out Deviantart.com and use some graphics from there. Then, you can use shake screen, flash and all that good stuff. Perhaps even get the video script and record something on your computer to play in your cut-scene.
I'm not too good at video-making but if you work hard, you could probably make a pretty good video cut-scene.
Those are my suggestions.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.