Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Vesperia-style Menu Fix

I hope this is the right place for this.

I really like the Vesperia-style menu that SoulxRegalia made; it's got a nice look to it when you've got the right graphics going together. There's just a slight problem with it when you go to use a skill on someone from the menu.

1lL1SCx.png

You know. Slight. Problem.

I've been poking around the code since September, but I can't figure out just where the issue is and what I need to change, and the coder hasn't responded to me since I pointed out the bug. I've found this is an issue in their other menu plugin too, so... they might not even have an answer for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Solution
Bah! I'll just give you what I worked on. It's more work to rename the .js to something else. Hopefully I didn't change anything of consequence.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q6pj4r29b7n9 ... MS.js?dl=0

I added a few methods to show/hide the frame graphics with the Actor Window. I didn't incorporate them in with the plugin's custom switches. So I wouldn't pass this on to anyone who might actually want to turn on/off specific menus.
I can't look at it until I get home to my computer.
But it looks like you need to hide the inactive window . something like, if skill_window.active == true then status_window.visible = false.

I don't want to confuse you though, that might not be how they are named.

I looked at it. Maybe somehow those elements are getting updated last and therefore are drawn above everything else?
That's all I can think of.
And if that's the case it would need some reordering or some preventive measure to keep it from updating while that window is active.

I have no idea. I thought I had it figured out.
It's mainly the Actor window.

It should be identical to the Actor select screen in the Item menu.
But for some reason it's using different parameters. You notice that the window opacity is 0 on the item menu but not Skill menu.

There is no Z parameter. But the window functions use addChildAt with a parameter between 0-5. 5 being infront. I tested it and could actually push it behind the other menu elements.
The thing is, the plugin's Actor window default is 5.
The other windows in the skill menu are set to 1.
So it should be layered correctly.

Nothing I change in this Plugin .JS affects the Actor window on the Skill Menu.
Edit: for whatever reason, the actor window in the Skill menu is running off the default script parameters. Which is why it's behind everything else.

Edit2:
Ok, you could go into the rpg_scene.js (what I mean by default scripts) and change the actor window parameters to a 5.
But that only fixes half the problem because the Skill List window is still on top of the Actor window.
Plus, if we're going to fix it, we should fix it right by making changes to this plugin .js so it works like it's suppose to.

Ok I think I got it. Still not used to looking at Javascript and Notepad++
I wasn't seeing the Class separations. Duh. The Item_Scene had an Actor_Window. The Skill_Scene didn't. All I had to do was copy the createActorWindow method into the Skill Scene class.
A few parameter adjustments...I set the item window child to 2. And the Actor Window child to 6. (Not sure if I'm saying that right.)
So everything is layer like it's suppose too. Only now, I think it would look better if I put the frame graphics behind the Actors Window, like they are on main menu. Because it's still a little cluttered.

Skillmenu_zpskdxpcsgi.png~original

Yes, that works!

I'm not sure how to put the frame in, though... was there supposed to be a graphic for it, and it just wasn't included? I'm not seeing how to even slap a window from the window set in there.

The main menu has frame graphics behind the actors. But they're not included in the actor window in the Item or Skill menu.
I got it now. Almost. The skill menu anyways. I should include the frame graphics in the item menu too, just to be thorough.

Edit: I should also apply my changes to another copy. I might of have changes something else while I was messing around.
But I need to sleep first, so I'll get back to you.

Skillmenu_almost_fixed_zpstptfg1mf.png~original

Bah! I'll just give you what I worked on. It's more work to rename the .js to something else. Hopefully I didn't change anything of consequence.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q6pj4r29b7n9 ... MS.js?dl=0

I added a few methods to show/hide the frame graphics with the Actor Window. I didn't incorporate them in with the plugin's custom switches. So I wouldn't pass this on to anyone who might actually want to turn on/off specific menus.

Solution

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.