Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Updates and Reminders.

We'll start with the good news! I've just added RMXP.org's own custom emoticon set!  :toot:

I made them myself to be used exclusively on this forum. I know they might not be the best emoticons in the world, but they're certainly better than the defaults, and I think they really add a touch of uniqueness to the forum. And remember, there are more than the ones that are displayed above the post box- click the [more] link to check them all out.

One note: I've set it so that the forums don't automatically parse text smileys into the graphical ones. Click on an icon and it will be inserted into the post. That will show you the code that corresponds with the icon. They're pretty easy to learn so it won't be difficult to type them into the quick reply box after you get used to them. This was a necessary change, and while it might inconvenience some people, it will make things easier in the long run. I've seen a post here and there get distorted because of the way smileys were parsed.

If you have any issues with them or any suggestions for new ones to be added, let me know in this thread. We're totally open to ideas and feedback.

Moving on...

One of the best things about this forum is that you members do a great job reporting posts that deserve to be handled. At the same time, there have recently been a lot of reported posts that didn't have to be reported in the first place. I just want to remind you guys of a few things when it comes to reporting. Some of this is a change from the past that may not have been very clear recently. I apologize for that. Hopefully this will set things straight.

• Do report spam, flaming and trolling.
  • Do report topics that are in the wrong forum.
  • Do report necroposting.
  • Do report private message spam.
  • Do NOT report topics that are "resolved".
  • Do NOT report topics after another member has replied saying that he has already done so.
  • Do NOT report your own topics to be closed or deleted.

In more detail: for the most part, there is no reason to close topics that are resolved, especially when it comes to RMXP support. When a member's question is answered, the topic would naturally sink towards the bottom of the forum. When a member sees that his topic has been locked, he might think that he has done something wrong. Similarly, members with similar problems wouldn't look at topics with a locked icon- topics that very well may already have an answer they are looking for. Reducing the amount of locked topics will also reduce the amount of redundant topics.

Secondly, we don't close or delete topics on command. The moderators here aren't your personal "close" button. A lot of members have asked that their topics be locked simply because they don't want it open anymore. If you abandon work on your game, then say so in a post and let the topic fall off the page as time goes on. There is often no need for such topics to be locked by moderators. Similarly, members have asked that their topics be locked/deleted because they want to cover up some kind of mistake or embarrassing behavior. That isn't the responsibility of the moderators, either.

Worth mentioning: Sponsors have the ability to close their topics because in return for their donation, they are trusted to self-moderate. If the ability to close your own threads is really important to you, donate to the forum. For more information on sponsorship, PM an administrator or ask about it in the #rmxp irc channel.

In short: The purpose of closing topics is a way to prevent further rule violations where they have already begun- that's all.

I hope this announcement has clarified some issues. As always, thanks for making this forum great. Have a great New Year, everybody. 2008 is starting off strong! :cheers:

All I have to say is to the possibility that support topics will stop getting closed the moment an answer is given - especially before the OP had a chance to even ask for further clarification or a 2nd problem...
:rock:

"Brewmeister, Despain, Wumpi, Ceroscuro, TheInquisitor and 0 Guests are viewing this topic."  :grin:

Nice job on the smileys.

60.25, I had the same 'beef'. Many times I wanted to add some clarification, or even correct an error in a "resolved" topic to find it was locked.

Des, thanks for the clarification.

Be Well

Well atleast this means less work!

AGH I NEED SMILEY PARSING

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now I'm doomed to always hit 'Full Reply' instead of using Quick Reply  :cry:

But the smilies do have a lot more character ...
:specs:

Have to admit I'll miss the automatic parsing, but it's just a matter of getting used I guess.

And there's no denying the highly elevated quality of these new smilies  :thumb:

:rock:

You even made them blue.  :grin:

Blue is my favorite color. Now I don't have to avoid using certain smilies, cuz they suck! YAY!  :cheers:

I especially like that one.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The no parsing is okay with me. I hardly ever typed out my smilies. Yup.  :fro:

Will the resolved support topic titles still be modified to say [resolved]? Just curious.

:rock: :thumb: :shades: :box: :beard: :fro: :pissed:

:microwave:

What the hell kind of situation am I supposed to use a microwave in?!

For when you want to over nuke a topic.
Or heat it up.  Just my guess.

I don't think we should have "resolved" in the topics.  It's not necessary I think, and just leads to more people starting up new topics of the same thing to avoid "bad posts".

Injury

Awesome Bro

Nice work Despian! These new smiles are awesome!

So I guess when someone necroposts, they get a warn?

:beard: :microwave: :beard:

beardalidge!

By the way, if I'm not just being blind, did the "hide online status" function get taken out? I don't have the courage to walk in the light of day! :'<

Yeah, we removed that. We intended to remove it a long time ago but never got around to it.

Too bad for the two members who like sneaking around.

Also, throughout the night I've been adding more emoticons here and there. Enjoy them...

...or die motherfucker! :gangsta:

Rare

:ash: :wooper: :ssj: i'm sensing a little icon bias here.

kidding.  fucking awesome despain.  its about time we got some decent emoticons around here.

and thank god for the rule change on the 'resolved' topics.  i never really understood why that rule was in place anyway.

Pffff. :pred:

They're really easy to remember.

:kiss:

Hey, Des, how's 'bout you make some pedophile smilies, and only let Brosek, and Cruelty use them?

:ratty:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.