Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Unique Battle System (kinda)

After distressing over how a turn-based, one-on-one game's battle system could possibly be exciting, I came up with an idea. If you've ever played the game "Orphen: Scion of Sorcery", then you'll probably know where I'm going with this. If you don't know what its battle system is like, here's a youtube example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqmqaR0 ... re=related

Every boss battle in Orphen involves the main character and the boss fighting one on one. They don't take turns, and there's no ATB bar. It's an action game, but the main character never moves his feet. He stands in one spot and attacks as consecutively as the player can press the buttons, with the boss attacking every once in a while. If the player's instinct tells them that the enemy is about to attack, the player can put up a temporary defense.

I found a way to re-enact such a system in RMXP, but I lack the programming skills to do it. For starters, I think it's important to know that I'm using the default first-person perspective. All battles are one-on-one, just like in Orphen, and I'll need a script that centers the player battler too. When the battle starts, you know that window that usually pops up at the top? The one that says "Fight/Escape"? Yes, well all battles are inescapable, but I don't want the entire window removed, just the "Escape" command. This way, the player can make physical preparations (taking a deep breath, etc.) before beginning the battle. It's also important to tell you that that same first menu cannot reappear for the duration of the battle, as it ruins its flow.

Now, the best way to explain how this works is to pretend that the player and enemy each have an ATB bar. But they really don't. As soon as the player finishes an attack, boom, the command menu pops up again immediately. If the player button-mashes on the Attack command, they can actually attack consecutively, just like in Action games.

The enemy, though, to be fair, cannot attack consecutively. They'll actually have time durations between their turns. The time they wait between each attack will be equal to that of their AGI in seconds. The higher the AGI, the longer the wait. Enemies with really high attack power will have a high AGI stat. The enemy can attack you at any time, even when you're going through the menues. But there are three points where they can't attack you.

A) During the animations of your attacks.
B) At the beginning of the battle when that first menu is at the top.
C) When the game is paused. (I'll need to add a pause feature, activated by pressing P)

To avoid bugs, I feel the need to write this too. If the AI selects an attack for the enemy during the player's attack animation, the enemy's attack is not cancelled, just postponed until the players' attack finishes.

I'm pretty sure I got everything, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Oh yes, and when the player chooses to Defend, they'll remain in a defensive stance for 3.5 seconds

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.