Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

UCoders Caterpillar

• .:UCoders Caterpillar:.

Version Update: 01/11/2008

"UCoders Caterpillar" shows all the party member on the map. The player controls the first member in the party and the rest of the characters follow the first member.

.:Features:.
    • Plug-in and play!
    • Allows you to disable and enable!
    • Allows you to easily hide or show the party members on the map.
    • Allows for custom addition and removing.
    • Party Member Rotation
    • Follow/wait Command, can be disabled
    • If an actor gets stuck and is not where it suppose to be, it is transferred to the right location almost seamlessly.(can be turned off)
    • Makes the player move forward after teleporting.(can be turned off)

.:How To Use:.
    Just Plug-in and Play! You can do extra stuff too:
Code:
# To add party member Automatically, go below and change(by default it should be true, so you don't need to change unless you want to turn it off)
#     Party_Catterpiller = true  # true mean on, false means off
#
# Look at more settings below.
#
# To hide party members:
#     $game_map.hide_actors
#
# To show party members:
#     $game_map.show_actors
# 
# To add a party member MANUALLY, do this:
#         $game_map.add_actor(ID)
#  ID = the id of the actor in the database.
#
# It returns the actor u just added so you can keep track as well, check the demo :)
#
# You can also define the X and Y they should appear. By default, they will
# appear next to the player, but you can change the x and y by:
#
#        $game_map.add_actor(ID,x,y)
#  ID = the id of the actor in the database.
#
# You can access an actor like this:
#
#  $game_map.actor(position) 
#
# Position being the position in the party from 0. The player is 0, so do not
# use 0 but you can use 1 for the 2nd party member, and so on.
#
# OR you can use database id:
#
#   $game_map.actors[ID]  -  ID of the actor(DATABASE).
# 
# Extra Controls
#
# $game_map.rotate_party
# $game_map.make_party_leader(ID)  -  ID of the actor(DATABASE).
# 
#===============================================================================

.:Screenshot:.
http://unknowncoders.com/rmxp/screenshots/screen_catt.PNG[/img]

.:Instructions and FAQ:.
Q: I can not open the demo!
A: Download winrar.

Q: What scripts do I need?
A: Just the script and UCoders Module.

Q: My game crashes and all I did was add the script to my game!
A: You need to add them in the same order they came in the demo.

.:Demo:.
Before you download, do read this!

• Error Reporting
            Name the script you got the error in.
            Take a screenshot of the error.
            Record the line number and the line itself.
            Tell me what you were last doing.
  • Feature Request
            Tell me in details what you want.
  • DownloadMirror 1 - UCoders FTP

.:Tips from Users to Users:.
No tips yet.

.:Credits and Thanks to:.
Mr.Mo - Member of "Unknown Coders"

I am checking this out hopefully it's better than Train.
Here are some of the problems I found. This is a funny script I kind of like how they can move around, and switch orders by themselves.
Bug Report
When you teleport they become always on top.
If you walk around any corners they lose control, sometimes they get stuck and you have to go back for them. Other than that it's a great script. I haven't tested it if you teleport to another map though.

Well they kind of don't stick to you like most scripts like this.
I think he's trying to make a different type of Caterpillar script, slowly, but surely.
Seems to have more features than most as well.

Actually, this is a base class for my next Squad Based Action Battle System(SBABS), I decided to release it cause it is stand alone.

Fixed and Updated the script with more features. Re-check the list.

Edit:
Uploaded new one.
The characters no longer get stuck! If they do..let me know why and give me a screenshot.

Nice Mr. Mo I will see how it is now :D

-Error from adding party members.
-They seem not to get stuck, but they teleport around alot.
I am here to help test, so if you fix this I'll test it again for you.
Everything else is good.

Can you make a feature where you can switch members and also hide the leader for a serious event? Im using a party switcher.. so I wanna hide em all completely.

Updated and Fixed

@Hellladen: They shouldn't teleport as much now, I forgot to do something last time. They only teleport when they get stuck, which should be rare unless you are constantly walking over them. Thanks for testing :) and can you remove that screen now? XD

@mumerus:
You can hide the party leader completely with an event :-/ I don't see why I need to add that. As for switching members, that will be next version.

Alright when you add switching I may use this. Keep up the good work, please make this awesome. I could use a better one than Fuku's Train.

Taylor

Sponsor

If you make it so you can have NPCs follow you... "yay". By NPCs I mean... not the "event" kind (but having even functions would be good) but ones that seem like party members but aren't actually part of the party.

Jirbytaylor":2z1dlnqb said:
If you make it so you can have NPCs follow you... "yay". By NPCs I mean... not the "event" kind (but having even functions would be good) but ones that seem like party members but aren't actually part of the party.

You mean like how Zelda followed Link in LttP? Yeah, that would be nice.

-MZ-

Hi. I'm using Blizzard's Easy Party Switcher alongside this script, but I've run into a bit of a problem: whenever I have changed members of the party and exited the menu, the characters don't refresh/update. They keep the old graphics of the actors, with new actors actually in the party. Is there a way for me to fix this?

Great script by the way. Much better than that train actor everyone's using.  ;D

-MZ-

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. If I switch one member for another I get this error:

Script 'Module UCoders' line 124: NoMethodError occured

undefined method 'x' for nil:NilClass

I also got that error in the demo when (from left to right) I talked to the 1st guy, 2nd guy, and then the 4th guy and then the 3rd guy.

Anyway, the problem could also be on Blizzard's end (the guy who made the Easy Party Switcher), as the caterpillar updates just fine when you use events to change your party.
I'll do some more looking myself. Thanks for the help!

Version Update: 01/04/2008

Added Party rotation and Follow/Wait. Read new instructions for details on additional features.

Oh yeah, I forgot to put the input module. You can get it from my ABS, I'm going out so I'll upload it tomorrow.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.