Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Treasure Chest pop-up window

I made a thread about this earlier, but it got lost and I forgot about it lol.

I am looking for a way to make a little window pop up that shows what you got from a treasure chest. It should use the item name from the database and everything so I don't have to put any message or anything in the treasure chest code.

I know Mog has one of these, but his systems were messing with my variables, and I didn't like that. So yeah, I'm not gonna use any of them.

I suppose it should be able to be easily turned on and off via a switch, or some Call Script command. Cuz I don't want it to always show what you get, like for some cutscenes and stuff.

Well yeah, I would just put messages in for them, but then I thought what if I changed the name of a very common item. I'd have to go find every single treasure chest with that item and change the message.

well thats an error due to your not being able to make up your mind and being careless with information. Or you could just make a common event for each item. People tend to let scripts do everything for them these days. This isnt that hard to do with events and its probably going to take the same amount of time to put in the call scripts anyway.

Um, you wanna take a look at the complexity of my event-based skill learning system that I did all by myself? I usually just event stuff instead of get scripts for it.

I just want to be safe in case I DO change my mind. You could call it being careless, but people do change their minds. I probably will just do it with messages, but I just wanted to know if there was an easier way that could make it simpler.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.