Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Timed Tactical Battle System - FREE BEER!

Taylor

Sponsor

Time and Skill Based Tactical Battle System

First I'd like to say I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible with this request. This battle system is based on a friend's idea. In short my version is a timed tactical battle system using Skills.

As the player is committing actions a timer counts down on screen. The timer is always counting down during the player's phase. When the timer reaches 0 the player's turn is over. The player's turn is also over when all actors' Move Points reach 0.
The average time of a turn is between 30-80 seconds. Average MP is 3-5. The MP should be definable initially for each character, be increasable by items, and time should be able to be defined per battle map.

This system should be able to record to the KGC Monster Guide. The system should ALSO take advantage of The Sleeping Leonhart's configuration system, I'm referring to non-window (white bordered blue boxes in screenshots) blue elements. So the selection cursor and move areas should tone the same as windows if they are re-toned. Because of this all picture elements should be the same colour range.

The request is in this link, because there is alot more HTML can do than BBCode... and I was writing it while I was offline.

http://jirby.cleverpun.com/tacticalsystem.htm

Taylor

Sponsor

EDIT 2: To clear up any confusion- Move, ironically does not use MP, but the option "Move" is disabled untill Attack, Wait, or Items is used - which do use MP. So attacking before Moving can be a bad strategy.
Updated the description of Move with this, because I realised there may be some confusion about when MP is lost (it might've sounded like Move and Attack would use 2 MP).
EDIT: Oh that sounds just as bad... I mean "after an actor has moved once the option "Move" is disabled untill Attack..." and after an action is used Move is enabled again.

Taylor

Sponsor

I thought... how would the battles end when won?
And thus the question was answered.
(But the families are still not happy. :E)
If I recall, the ZTBS system shows a window with prize money, and items when an enemy is defeated. This doesn't happen per enemy. Like in most RPGs instead, you recieve money, items and EXP at the end of battle. The victory ME is played and the left screen is displayed, with the prize window growing in length if items are won.

If the player is deafeated (all members KOed or other conditions if they are fufilled beforehand), the Game Over music is played, the screen pauses for two seconds and begins to fade red, and then the a window displaying "Anniliated..." appears (right). When the action key is pressed the screen fades out and resets the game:

$game_map.setup(04)
$game_player.moveto(0, 0)
$game_map.autoplay
$game_map.update
$scene = Scene_Map.new

With all switches and variables reset, and all party members removed, and all pictures erased... EVERYTHING reset as if pressing F12. (My game starts on map 004 to start opening scenes not on Scene_Title.)

Screens in page. Also added list of possible character poses.

Taylor

Sponsor

*BUMP*
Forget about the whole skin_hue useage.
The RMXP help states that hue_change on bitmap can cause colour loss, plus instead of "10" increasing bitmap's original hue by 10, it increases the current one. When I was trying this in Mog's menus I found that the background would change hue each scene, depending on the value of skin_hue. As well as switching between the map and menu.
The bitmap's state would only reset when the save-game is reloaded (or a new game is started.)

Taylor

Sponsor

Hiiiiii~ YAAAHH! *super bump-kick*

Anyone else besides/as-well-as Mac/L willing to work on this? D:
Two... months...

The default ZTBS uses a script to work out what tactical map the player is in, activate a specific Common Event then send the play to a specific map and location.
Trouble is my game isn't a Tactics game, I'm just wanting to use a tactical system and so by default a tactical map upon victory should start a common event, show the victory screen(in request details), and return to the original map and position. THEN continue event processes that started the battle, e.g show a message then delete event or whatever.
Just like with normal Scene_Battle ...battles.

Taylor

Sponsor

*BUMP* Don't ignore it just because it's a link. :< I tried to BBCode-ize it but it's too much work... too bad there isn't an offline BBCode post editor... (hmm that's an interesting idea...)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.