Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Gun (short story)

This is a short story I wrote for school. I had to write one based on the perspective of an object. It's a high school class, so you don't have to be Shakespeare to get an A. Hell, you don't even have to be Christopher Paolini. What do you think of it?

THE GUN

I…I…the gun thought in a shaky, uneven tone. I didn’t mean to kill him! Honest, I didn’t. The gun wished for a voice, movement, or something to help him convey his thoughts. It was prisoner, kidnapped and seized by the men in blue uniforms. Look all you want, I tell you! It wasn’t my fault, the voice continued to helplessly think, hoping that somehow his thoughts would be conveyed to the lab workers.

“Ballistics proves it,â€

Italics are commonly used to indicate thought. Quotation marks are generally only used for things that are actually spoken.

you're overusing it though
seriously, this story is in the omniscent third person, so quotation is pretty appropriate unless it's the third person, or to be used sparingly.

candle

Sponsor

I just don't really like it.  I don't "get" the fact that the gun is thinking.  I know this is your story and you can write whatever the hell you want, but it just doesn't make sense to me.  I think it would have been better if the gun was a mean pit bull that had been raised to attack on sight and was constantly abused by its owners.

True, its not something I would normally write. The assignment though was the perspective of an object, so I don't think a dog would count.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.