Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

THE FINAL CHRONICLES OF THE GRAY HEROES STORY SAGA

Disclaimer: If you take this game as seriously as I do, I'm sure we'll have no problem.

THE FINAL CHRONICLES OF THE GRAY HEROES STORY SAGA

Last Update: 6/15/2011
Woo!

Background Info
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fifty years ago, the world of Gaiaia was threatened by a great evil. Grilland, captain of the King's royal guard, stole the power of the Uniforce and used it to fracture the four Great Crystals. An earthquake tore the land of Mysiduur in two, and from its gaping maw poured an army of fiends and stuff.

The four Great Crystals, in a last attempt to save Gaiaia, each chose a hero without deliberation. Thus rose Desh, a modest, mute farm boy; Sara, the princess of Mysiduur; Aria, a promiscuous thief; and Cid, a magical construct given life.

The heroes overcame their differences and ultimately defeated Grilland, though the Uniforce was destroyed in the battle. From Grilland's lifeless body came the Smog of Darkness, who had been in possession of Grilland's corrupted body for years, having banished Grilland's soul to the world of darkness.

Another battle ensued, but the four heroes were again victorious. They took Grilland's body aboard their ship, only to be attacked again by the Smog of Darkness, this time enfused with the power of the Great Crystals. The four heroes vanquished their foe and finally put an end to the Smog of Darkness.

However, Desh's blade, having struck the final blow, then came to life, possessed by the Smog of Darkness. The battle was quick, as were the ensuing battles against Desh's boot of Darkness; a bunny of Darkness; the ship's sails of Darkness; a cloud of Darkness blowing by; Tera of Darkness, dock manager at Mysiduur Bayside Docking; a group of closely-grown mushrooms of Darkness; and Cid himself... of Darkness. Finally, the four used Cid's magic, along with a shard of the Uniforce, to strip the Smog of Darkness of its hold on the power of the Great Crystals, using that power to seal the Smog of Darkness back within the world from whence it came of darkness.

The world was at peace; the four heroes went their separate ways, living their lives in eternal fame.

Now, however, an earthquake has again tore the land in two, and the Smog of Darkness has returned. With no other heroes to turn to, and no Great Crystals to choose any anew, it is up to the four heroes, fifty years past their prime, along with some kid, to save the world again....

Characters
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Desh
Desh.gif

Class: Champion
Desh was a farm boy until he was chosen by the Wood Crystal to be one of the four heroes. He's never said a word, which can lead to misunderstandings between the four veterans and the kid. Desh is generally sarcastic and intelligent, but his expressions never belie his inner thoughts. Desh serves as the game's tank; he can take a few hits and deal some moderate damage, but doesn't really do much.

Sara
Sara.gif

Class: Queen
Before being picked by the Triangle Crystal, Sara was the princess of Mysiduur. She is now the queen, though her husband, King Galf, is long dead. Sara is bossy and used to getting her way, not very bright, but generally kind-hearted. She serves as the party's healer and buffer and can't take much damage before falling.

Aria
Aria.gif

Class: Floozy
Before and since being called upon by the Seafood Crystal, Aria has been a kleptomaniac. Since she could walk, she has pilfered theses and thats on compulsion, mostly unaware of her thievery. This landed her in trouble early on, and she's never truly tried to break her bad habit, nor had much of a problem with it. Being a promiscuous and sexual being, she lent herself to prostitution at a young, desirable age. She has since withered and become vile, though she still sees herself as a beautiful young woman. Obviously, she plays the role of the thief. Not so obviously, she plays the role of the main physical damage dealer, able to pierce armor and strike where it hurts.

Cid
Cid.gif

Class: Warlock
Though the chosen of the Smoke Crystal, at one time Cid was but a young magical boy... toy... thing, searching for meaning in a large and overwhelming world. Now, though, Cid is a classic grumpy old man, never having found that meaning. He can't be bothered to do this or that and often falls asleep. He's very proud, very defensive, and very judgmental. He serves as the team's magic-user and is capable of dealing the most damage of the five.

Watt
Watt.gif

Class: Summoner
Bringing a youthful touch to the game, Watt is a twelve-year-old orphan boy from the small town of Urrr, which has been destroyed by the recent earthquake. Sleeping late in the refugee town Guysal, Watt awakens to find the four heroes fighting monsters outside. Watt feels that he is destined to travel with the four, and so he does do that real good yep. Watt can't take too many hits, but can summon as many GFs as he can equip.

Story

Uhm. Yep. Four chosen dudes and a kid save the world and whatnot. There are twists and stuff.

Features and Whatnot

- I'm using GubiD's TBS for the battle system, but unlike most games that utilize this sort of battle system, the player will still be able to explore the world. Once you've killed the enemies on a map, you can march around it and do what you'd like. You can then battle again if you want, but you dun even hafta.
- One large part of gameplay will be the mirroring of the World of Light and the World of Darkness. Each location has a Light World map and an Of Darkness World map. You press a key and switch to the exact mirrored spot in the opposite world. This will tie into dungeons and puzzles and whatnot or something and stuff.
- I'm using a system much like the child of the License Board from FFXII and the Sphere Grid from FFX for leveling. Each character starts off in their own section of the grid-board, but they have free movement to other areas. Tiles yield stat boosts and the ability to use skills, but not weapons or armor, unlike the License Board. Each 9x9 tile section is separate and must be purchased, found, or unlocked as part of the story in order to limit grinding. Each tile on the License Grid thing is paid for with Levels. On top of this, it should be clarified that characters do not grow in level; each character will be nearly as strong at the beginning of the game as they will be at the ending. Characters, after purchasing these tiles, can equip a certain amount of them. At the beginning of the game, each character can equip four skills/stat boosts.
- Along with the license sphere board grid thing comes leveling skills. As characters use skills, they become more powerful or cause status effects that last longer or by some other means grow in strength.
- Elements are gone. In their place come six different colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple. Offensive spells are named for their colour followed by a number which indicates the tier of the spell.
- As you can tell from the character art, I'll be using 8-bit graphics, most of which are ripped from the original FFIII. Audio files will be of the same quality. I'm sticking strictly to the NES color palette, but I've gone over the sprite color limitations a few times, and I'm not really worried about that.
- Magic Police. "Sir, do you have a license to use that Magick?"

A Word Or Four From The Author

Hurr Durr Duurr, Sir!

As far as goof rpgs go, this one actually seems promising. The premise definitely gave me a few laughs, and the gameplay sounds fun enough. I'm gonna keep my eye on this, it definitely looks like it will be enjoyable.

I'm glad that you think so! A lot of the jokes are cheap, but whatever. I'm having fun writing it; I hope anyone who plays will have fun playing it.

I made a few small updates to the original post regarding features and whatnot and stuff.

EDIT: I also added an additional characterrr.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.