Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Epiq Project

The Epic Project - Possibly renamed to Mixture-1. There are many roots in Alchemy and Majick, so, I think a name change is appropriate.

Storyline:

The basic storyline is simple. You start out in the graveyard of a church, with very little of interest there, other than a priest off to the side, pacing around patiently. If you speak with him, you will get a little bit of useful insight on what the game is about, the storyline you may be following, etc. Right from the start, you are only a basic townsfolk, unarmed, and, inexperienced in combat. You can go into the church, and at the altar, choose what to do with your existence. Will you choose a life of work, becoming a blacksmith, or carpenter? Or, will you swear your life to vengeance, and become a mighty warrior, crafty mage, or sneaky rogue? Oh, I forgot to mention a minor detail. you remember nothing. No idea who killed your family, or why. No idea what their reasons were. Nothing. So there lies the problem. Was it a group of bandits that came and robbed you in the middle of the night, or, was it a group of rogue soldiers, carrying out an assasination order. You will need to ask around, gather clues, and find out what happened before you decide what to do.

These are dark, evil times, and you are likely to come across creatures from hellish dimensions, bent on nothing except carnage and destruction. They will attack you, freeze you, burn you, and enchant you. Your goal? Kill them. Kill them all.

Characters:

The current characters we have are:

Alaina - The main character. This is who you start as. This is who you live as, and, this is who you die as.

Jacob - A philosopher by trade, he can be found in one of the forests' caves, living at peace with nature. He will offer you some words of wisdom, and guidance, which you can take or ignore at your discretion.

Moaria - Little is known about this mage, however, the one thing everyone agrees upon is that she is ancient, and very powerful. You should seek her out as soon as you can.

Current Release Version:

The Epic Project - Alpha 0.5.4

The original thread for this can be found on Chaos Project forum

You need A LOT more info here dude. A little story blurb and two characters doesn't really tell anyone about your project. In order for people to give you the best comments and critique - and in turn, play your game - you need to shape this up. Read this thread. It will help you get this thread on track, and hopefully get you some proper feedback. :biggrin:

Edited to include more information. I will be adding more as time goes on. Is there a way to get a folder of my own for this project? All of the details are in multiple posts on a different forum, because it has a dedicated sub-folder for it. Or, I could always just post up about fifteen different threads about it... lolz... But in all seriousness, I have alot more, but, it is split into too many posts and topics to even try to combine into one post.

Mmkay, where to start...

So, given this thread is only in the concepts board for now, I'm not going to hold your demo up to particularly high standards of criticism, but I think the big problem here is that there's a major lack of guidance in your game. I won't lie- I downloaded it before I read your original post in this thread and quickly found myself absolutely clueless as to what I should be working towards. While there isn't anything inherently wrong with a simple beginning, your game still needs to have a beginning, even if it's as simple as a black screen fading away and showing the main character wake up somewhere. When I did read this thread, I realized I was meant to approach the church altar to change my class and receive some starting equipment, but the thing with games is that I shouldn't have had to read the thread or a manual.

Nothing seems to really do anything. I can understand for a demo that placeholders are probably a given, but telling people to ask around and gather clues isn't very helpful when the only NPCs don't actually talk, they just sell things. In addition, no matter what class I choose, the priest outside the church will greet me as a carpenter or blacksmith, but there isn't much incentive to play either of those classes since I can just get their skills by changing to them once and then choosing a combat role. On that note, I can change my class as many times as I like, and I'll still get a fresh pile of gold and stats and gear every time, letting me have essentially limitless funds if I were patient enough.

I can't really say much about combat besides the fact that I pressed every button on my keyboard and I'm still not sure how to attack things. Maps need some substantial work, but there are a great number of tutorial threads on this board you can check out on that, and I'm fairly sure there's also a mapping improvement thread where you can get feedback and advice on your maps. And maybe it's just me, but you should also look into changing the music. It doesn't really set any mood or improve the game, and in fact, that pew pew pew noise quickly became annoying.

TL;DR:

I don't mean to sound needlessly harsh, but I can only assume that by posting a demo, you're looking for feedback on what you consider to be a presentable work-in-progress. To sum up the things you should work on improving:

• Have an intro event. It can be minimal, but it has to be there.
  • Make it clear how to do things. Add a tutorial or something.
  • Make class choices matter. Being able to change class limitless times without consequence renders choices meaningless.
  • --Also, you can't really have non-combat classes if it's impossible to play through the game without killing things.
  • Give NPCs character! Towns feel really dead if nobody has anything to say.
  • Give the setting character! These towns don't even have names and it's not explained why all these demons are just waltzing about through the forest.
  • Actions need to give the player feedback. When I hit enter near a book, it should clearly say 'Picked up a Church Portal!
  • And please, please change the music. : (

Well, thank you for giving some feedback. It looks like the newest version is not linked properly, so I'll have to fix that asap.. The newest version does have alot of changes, and I'm very sorry I don't have that one linked up. The music is changed, intro is different, and, there's a little more storyline. I do plan on making it better than that soon though.

Digital Soul":wxgbrn4x said:
Well, thank you for giving some feedback. It looks like the newest version is not linked properly, so I'll have to fix that asap.. The newest version does have alot of changes, and I'm very sorry I don't have that one linked up. The music is changed, intro is different, and, there's a little more storyline. I do plan on making it better than that soon though.
Sounds good! I look forward to it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.