Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

THE DARK KNIGHT FUCKING RISES

moog

Sponsor

The+Dark+Knight+Rises+Trailers+13-minutes+preview+photos+poster+4.jpg

OK FIRST OFF DONT SPOIL SHIT OR YOURE BANNED (no jk but please dont :c )

Just got back from seeing this. It's the third and final entry in Christopher Nolan's take on Batman. All the familiar cast members return (minus mainly Eckhart and the obvious Ledger) reprising their roles, along with a few additional and impressive actors. The movie itself (which Id rather not talk to much about in plot) is basically a fall and rise from the ashes film. Wont say too much more, usually I would in these threads but not tonight.

To be honest, and in my opinion, this is probably the weakest of the three entries in my opinion.

Also, if you are a superhero movie fan LOL I LOVED THE AVENGERS AND SPODERMAN etc and havent seen the other two Batman films, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. Its not the greatest film of ALL TIME either.

Before any of you rage, let me tell you: ITS FUCKING AMAZING AND I WOULDNT MAKE A THREAD IF I DIDNT THINK SO. BUT, it has its flaws.

read my critic's below

Alot of the script is overly condescending (THIS IS THE CLEAN SLATE, etc) You should NEVER explain something directly to the viewer imo. You should slowly bring it out and let them deduct their own conclusion (LOL CONTEXT CLUES). The acting was very great, so ill skip that. Caine better get an oscar, his small screentime alone shows what a powerful actor he still is. Also, Batman himself has very little screentime, which imo was A FANTASTIC device by Nolan. Bruce's character is molded into such a dynamic system, and its great to see how he changes from the intro of Begins to throwing his life away for his justifications. its just so epic. The lol robin shit pissed me off, but it was a fan favorite so fuck it. Alot of people are saying NOT GOOD AS DARK KNIGHT LOL but imo, its NOT AS GOOD as Begins! I think that people tend to overlook the fact that Dark Knight would be NOTHING without the Ledger. The writing in all the films is fantastic, although this does prove to be the weakest. (at one part there is a penis joke, seriously nolan?)

All in all, a spectacular ending to one of the best trilogies of all time, if not THE BEST superhero trilogy, even though it feels more like the Godfather (having less screentime for Bruce than others)

I believe Bruce and Selina were at the cafe, I know Nolan with his Inception tricks, but I have my belief Bruce and her are alive, and he's retired, and the detective dude is gonna be Robin, maybe Nightwind, plus I guess I wanted Scarecrow to make more then just a appearance as a judge but that was funny

This is part 3 in a trilogy right? I mean, not continuation but taking place in the same universe as the last 2 films. I've seen the one with the Joker but not the first one. All I know is the main villain is Bane in this one.

Sadly, this movie is going to be remembered because of the shooting during the midnight showing in Colorado. It's the only thing they are covering on TV this morning. At least 12 killed. I'm hoping the people that died didn't have kids with them. I'm terrible for thinking it, but to have your parents killed while seeing a batman movie would be awfully ironic.

No ID

Sponsor

I thought it was great. I wasn't expecting that twist. But yea all those people getting shot is crazy. And takes away from the fact that they had 17 extra shows. In 1 theater in my small county that usually shuts down like a PC with the BSD well before 12am

Seeing it toniiiiigggghhhttt ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also "The Ledger" is kind of a cool name for a villain

an ... evil accountant

who messes up your taxes
and
tricks grandmas into tontines

Saw it. Loved it!!! Ditto @ all of your spoiler'd parts, moog.

Obv not as good as Dark Knight but that shit's like following Carlin. Nearly impossible to follow.

I see what you mean about the writing moog. It seems Nolan had too many ideas and too short of time. The movie jumped a lot and left some things up in the air. That is Nolan's style, but it hasn't been for the previous Dark Knight titles. I think he was really going for a closing political statement. I couldn't help but see lots of parallels to the modern US in the way Nolan portrays and eventually shapes the politics of Gotham. Of course, Bane's method was FUCKING awesome. But I'm not a violent revolutionary, so I think Nolan when a little overboard with the whole populist uprising and police warfare stuff. But all in all, it was an excellent character driven flick. Anne Hathaway did better then I thought she would, but I think that is primarily due to how sexy she played it. Her lines were rather bland, and she never fully fulfilled that Catwoman role I was expecting. As for the ending, with Robin. Fuck that. Warner Bros. better extend Nolan's rights or someone else is going to tarnish a good lineage in Batman stories again - *cough* Burton. It was good though, had me on the edge of my seat even after I left the theater.

Ven:(off topic) How is Carlin impossible to follow? He speaks only the truth and in the most easily perceptible way - and he's a fucking riot.

you've never heard the expression "tough act to follow" or "it's like going on after streisand"? (i used that, however i think streisand is shit so i used carlin)

it basically means that it doesn't matter how good you are, there's no way that you can top the act that went on before you.

Saw this last night, and will have to agree with the general consensus - this movie is better than Batman Begins but not quite as good as TDK.

That is to say, this was an incredible movie, and actually surpassed my expectations. There are some truly chilling moments and scenes that made my spine tingle for how well-made they were. It's not a perfect movie and I find myself questioning a lot of the film's decisions, but leaving the theatre I was left with an overwhelmingly positive impression.

Pros:
-Okay, Ledger's Joker is still the best comic book villain I've ever seen in a movie. But Bane is close. Everything from the bone-chilling voice to the utter ruthlessness of his actions were perfect. That first fight scene between Bane and Batman, where Bane just wrecks the utter shit out of Batman, is amazing.
-That scene where the kid is singing the national anthem at the football game, and then Bane blows up half the city... oh god. One of the best scenes in the trilogy, easily.
-Hathaway and JGL were both incredible and left the biggest impressions on me other than Bane.
-A lot of people hated the Robin reference but I liked it even if it was a little cheesy.
-This film did a really good job of conveying just how desperate the situation was in Gotham. One of the things I love about TDk is that it shows just how terrified Gotham can be. This film takes those stakes and amplifies them.
-Scarecrow!!!
-Dear Lord that soundtrack. Haunting.

Cons:
-The "twist" at the end felt really forced and I didn't think it added a whole lot to the movie. At the very least, I think it should have been revealed maybe a bit earlier for it to have more impact on the movie's events.
-Bane's death felt really poorly-handled and brushed off, especially after he spends the entire movie being the ultimate badass.
-I really think they should have spent 30 seconds or so explaining how Bruce was able to get back into Gotham. Especially with how supposedly tight the city was being monitored.
-I still don't know how JGL was able to figure out that Bruce Wayne is Batman. There was some serious logic-leaping there.

I have one question for all the people who live in Gotham:

Why in the holy flying shit-titties don't you move away

I mean JESUS CHRIST

Okay, maybe it's not enough to move when it's just overrun with ultra-violent, gun-toting mobsters and gangsters.

But when the super villains start coming out,

When your city is overtaken by a dude who tries to drug everyone in the city into being insane maniacs,

When your city is terrorized by a dude in crazy makeup who systematically assassinates public figures, explodes buildings, and generally flips the shit out all over everyone in a way that even scares the mobsters,

When your city is literally taken entirely over by a bulky-as-fuck terrorist and his gang of assault-rifle-wielding grown-up sewer urchins, using a nuclear core as a ticking time bomb that you can't escape,

And your law enforcement team is so inept that they would SEND EVERY COP IN THE CITY INTO A SEWER ON A "TRAINING EXERCISE",

And your only hope is some dude who, for all you know (as a citizen), stole a bunch of expensive, dangerous military tech, and flies around the city, trying his damndest to stop the crime, but not really paying much attention to the property damage he's perpetrating meanwhile,

WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO LIVE THERE

I mean, okay, the street urchins and the poor? They probably don't have much choice, other than physically walking their sorry asses out, to an uncertain future.
And maybe the ultra rich or the old or the infirm may feel comfy where they are, and are resistant to change,
but for the average Joe, the guy with a wife and two kids and a normal job,
why in the BLEEDING FUCK does he stay

it's in America, not some 3rd world country, where a despot has effectively made it so that people cannot physically move around (after the events of the movies, of course) ... they ARE ALLOWED TO MOVE, and it's not THAT hard to find work elsewhere ...

I want to get out of Tampa because it's too hot. Why would anyone be like "hrm, well, it's not a NICE city, and it doesn't have good weather, and there is the intermittent ultra-criminal between the lesser-but-still-scary criminal attacks, but ... well, all my stuff's here, so ... I'll stay."

@_@

This movie is amazing. I didn't find myself liking it as might as TDK, but it is definitely going to be apart of my movie collection when it comes out.

Even though a lot of people say that this movie has the best fight scenes of them all, I still think that BB has the best fight scenes. They seem more combat-y, or something. But anyways, if anyone is debating whether to see it or not, I definitely recommend it—especially if you are a Batman fan!

For me, I'm pleased as a hardcore Batman fan. :heart:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.