Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Test Your Might/Button Mashing Minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I found the perfect script for my game, however, the link's gone dead. I was wondering if anyone could make a slightly edited version of Chaosg1's Test Your Might script. I can pretty much make the gradient bars myself as long as I know how large the image is supposed to be to work with the script. I tried researching to figure out how to make this system myself, but I'm not even halfway decent at scripting yet. Heh.

What I need is a script that would allow pressing a button to fill up a bar that's over the player's head. Once the bar has been filled up, the event will continue. To be a tad more specific, the player needs to struggle to fill up the bar so that their character can continue on with the scene.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8580/gradientrt5.png[/img]
Mash the "A" button on your keyboard to fill up the bar over Arshes's head! Once successful, the bull's been repelled. Otherwise, you're bucked.

I'd like it if this little script was versatile. Like, it could be used for holding back a monster, lifting up something, a drinking game, holding your breath underwater, and more, all with the same system. Button mashing all the way to fill up the bar so you can continue on with the game. Of course, whomever's writing the script needs to show me how to increase and decrease the difficulty of the game. If everything was at an easy pace, that would be extremely boring...

The script has to be designed with a level of toughness in mind. The bar you're trying to fill goes down whenever you slack up. For example, if I got the bar to 25% and then decided to stop mashing the "A" button, the whole bar would empty and it'd be game over for me. The red part of it drains away from lack of activity to make things harder for the player.

Ever played one of those games where you're hitting the "X" button five billion times to be able to lift something up? There's hundreds of games out there that use this sort of "minigame". It adds a whole 'nother level of interactivity that's fun for the whole family. Frustrating at times, yes, but it gets you into the game in a way that can't be denied! That's basically what I'm requesting here. A script that emulates that sort of bar filling activity while offering an *easy* way for me to change it up by making it harder or easier depending on what the player has to do. Also, I'd like it if there was an easy way for me to change the input button, as well, even though I'm sure I can figure it out myself, it wouldn't hurt to point me in the right direction!

Thanks for your help. I can't offer much in return other than undying gratitude, as my game can't work without it. A number of scenes are riding on this minigame. Oh, I'd be willing to help with someone's game writing-wise if they were to make this script. A skill trade, that is if you need some sort of compensation for making this.

Thanks again! :)

Bump! Please help. This is seriously crucial to my game.

Like I said before, I'll gladly help rewrite a scene for you, help with dialogue, or anything to do with writing other than design documentation. I can help write one, though, but not write one from scratch. Thanks in advance, again.

Eilei

Sponsor

I'll take this one up, as it could be used in so many different situations. I'm not sure on a timeline, as I have other things going on, but I'll post a link to the script when it's done.

Edit: Shouldn't take more than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.