Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tales of Symphonia style battle system- will pay money for it (several scripts)

Introduction
Hello,
Well I would like a battle system that resembled the Tales of symphonia. I am willing to pay the person $50 most likely more if you can do all of it to to this as I know its not easy, but I will try to help and give as much info as possible to this person. I will credit the peoples scripts which I have linked to etc Don't get put off by the amount of text! First thing, I am new to this, so excuse me if I get any terminology wrong or don't understand simple scripting things. ^^;
If you can do more than half the scripts, and they all work together and meet what I would like (which is all described below) then I am willing to pay you the $50,straight off, no questions asked.
I am being flexible and giving different options for if something is just to complicated to do throughout. This battle system doesn't not need the 3D camera angles but what the battle system should include is (which is the hard part):
  • A 'unison' bar
  • A battle system like the one shown below
  • Shortcuts (i.e alt+1) for using different attacks.
  • for those shortcuts to activate animation
  • combos
  • to be able to insert voice into the battle (info below)
  • and for all these scripts to be able to work together, probably the hardest of them all.
  • To have 4 people fighting on your team at once (without them killing off each other)
  • And for control to switch to another character when the one you controlling is dead. (very important)
  • Targeting enemies
  • item menu
All are described below.
Even If you can combine 2 or 3 scripts together I would be grateful.
The 'unison' bar
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1271/unisonbarqv2.jpg[/IMG]
The unison bar in Tales of symphonia is basically a bar which goes up every time you hit the enemy. When it is full the group fighting perform an attack each on the enemy then depending on the attacks performed a special attack will be performed.

Here's a video below of a unison attack:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nIcDPA4ckhU

See how the bar turns red and says ready (although the colour change from blue to red and the word ready appearing on it are not at all necessary)
And then each character attacks, and because Genis' (the boy with white hair) and Zelos' (the dude with red hair) attacks were 'compatible' as such another special move was performed, which was 'Rock Mountain'. Then the unison bar empties and effectively goes back to zero. And other thing, if you can't write a script to make the amount of points in the unison bar carry across to the next battle, don't worry! I will accept having it reset as long as it fills up fast. ^^

The following script is basically the 'unison' bar but without the each party member attacking and a special move on top of that:
http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=15611

And this a a link to a combo attack script, so if you cold make them work together, or perhaps it would assist you in making a new script:
http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=4453

Having just a special move without each individual attack or vise a versa on its own is something I will definately consider so don't run away if you think you can do one but not both, I will accept just the one! The main job is to do the special move and for the script to be compatible with all the other scripts, and for it to be intergrated into the battle like in the screenshot above.

=======================================================
The Battle system

Do not worry so much for this!

This following script works fine! It just needs to be compatible with the other scripts and to work properly.
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4266

Here's a video linking to a battle if you want to see how it works.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzT0BeV14zk

And just throwing it out there again- I will credit absolutely everyone! I know this was originally 'Project X' or something along those lines, the original creators, the people who take up the script and edit them EVERYONE WILL BE CREDITED. :)

========================================================
Shortcuts
I think I've seen this sort of thing around, I'm not quite sure where though, but yes shortcuts. In Tales of symphonia for example UP+ B will make Lloyd (a character) perform lets say, demon fang. DOWN+ B on the other hand will make him perform tempest. So basically shortcuts intergrated into the battle system and are disabled outside the battle system I what I'm looking for. for example alt+1 will perform demon fang and alt+2 will perform tempest. Some sort of method of setting these attacks would be needed too which would most likely be set through the main menu.
The following picture shows the Tales of symphonia command screen.
I know my skills with MS paint are lame, please don't hurt me! XD
The stuff boxed in red in the necessary stuff. Everything else isn't necessary unless you know how to easily add it in.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5373/techzg1.jpg[/IMG]

======================================================
Shortcuts activating animation
I have sprite sheets showing attacks, now using them is the problem. A certain attack when activated by using the shortcut should be shown in the form an animation, but the animation makes the sprite itself change to perform the task, so the sprite the player is controlling performs the skill and the player cannot interfere in the time of the animation takes place, except to possibly cancel it if it was a spell or by opening the menu.
I think that this thread may help you make the script:
http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=6342

Combo
We all know what this is I think. ^^
I have no preferences as to where the combo hit counter goes, in the game its on the top right hand corner but it can't be in the way of the battle. It only counts the player controlled characters hits and resets after around 3 seconds or so.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7366/comboaa5.jpg[/IMG]

This script may have been made already, so if it is link it, so the person making these scripts can use it as a basis for theirs. Once again, all script writers will be credited.

Inserting voices into the battle

(lets just say the voice is a sound effect)
Adding voices will probably be difficult, so I think a certain SE for a certain attack, and changing lowering the probability of that SE playing should work. (except for a normal attack in that case a short SE plays every time the player controlled character attacks). As long as this can be edited and is compatible with the other scripts I don't mind. This only applies the player controlled character and their party, not the enemies because that just gets too complicated.
To have 4 people fighting on your team at once

I've browsed the threads and I saw things like this, but multiple characters which weren't enemies just ended killing each other off, I would like a script which can have 4 characters on your team attacking without hurting each other and attacking properly (so not just aiming it a random direction and attacking). Only one character is controllable, unless that character dies, so control will need to be switched over so the player controls the next character on the team. Non- controlled characters should just attack the enemy automatically.

Targeting

The player should be able to target the enemy which they want to attack. This is mainly important in characters which cast spells.
Being able to change the target for the other teammates would be great too, but not necessary, they'd just attack the closest thing possible.
Item menu
There is a tales of symphonia menu here:
http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=5733
But it would probably need to be made so it would work with the other scripts and so that it would, actually work.
But if that isn't possible then you can just have any menu, as long as you can change the shortcut skills from it.
Conclusion:

Thanks very much for reading all of this, and I hope you could understand what I was trying to say, I hope the links to other scripts, videos and the pictures will help you make the scripts if you decide to help. Remember you will definately get $50 and most likely more, and now that I think about it, probably a bonus payment if it all works out fine.
If you cannot do all the scripts but the majority of them and they all work together then I will pay you the $50 anyway. I'm being pretty flexible over this, as I mentioned before, but if your kind enough to help then state what you can do and I will need contact info etc so I can send you the money, and trust me,if you make the working scripts I will definately pay, and that's the truth. ^^ If you're confused over something or if you have some tips or advice then don't hesitate to reply. And any dead links too, tell me.
Thank you very much again for reading and please please help.
Ja ne,
~*~*~ Sakura Lee ~*~*~

Good luck with this, seems like trying to build a mount out of mud. Will be a real tough challenge for even an experienced scripter, 50$ seems like a little for the work at hand. But what do I know...

If you want the battle system similar but not the same, try XRXS's Project X. I'm trying to translate it at the moment, and I'm one of the only people that still have the scripts (they were removed from the site).

Well, this stretches far beyond the reaches of a battle system. See the problem is that something like that has to be integrated into several different classes and therefore you can't really make a broad "template" that could be easily used by the general public.

You'll probably have to hire someone to do this personally for you in order to fit your game and stay compatible. I'd suggest asking Prexus, or RPG Advocate but it'll cost more the 50 USD this isn't a small job by any means.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.