Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tactical Battle with Area Encounters (see post 7 for general Area Encounters)

luvva

Tactical System combined with Area Encounters:

Introduction:
Hi! I've only had rpgmaker xp for a couple of days- but i've been having a bit of a play with Gubid's Tactical Battle System, and with Yeyinde's Terrain Tag Encounters Scripts;

This script disables the isometric part of Gubid's system (along with height advantages), but it allows the user to define specific battles (and tactical maps) to specific areas of a map.

Here's the links to the two original scripts:
Gubid's Tactical Battle System
Yeyinde's Terrain Tag Encounters

at the risk of plagiarism- i'm not taking any credit, because the systems are based almost ENTIRELY on theirs- i just thought about changing a couple of things :P

Features:
Those of Gubid's non-iso tactical system, and of terrain tag encounters (see above for links)

Screenshots:
(same as gubid's system, you cant really screenshot the rest)

Demo:
I'm looking on uploading my mini-project once i get round to hosting it

Instructions:
1) Install SDK 2.x if you havnt done so already
2) Below it, put Gubid's Tactical Battle System
3) Below that, put Yeyinde's Terrain Tag Encounters
4) Overwrite the following scripts:

Game_Map_iso:
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# â—

luvva

The main point of the Iso is that you can define the boundaries of your areas a lot more easily (and over multiple terrains) with it, i cant really see any easy way to define the areas otherwise...

without using SDK might be possible though- i'll have a look into it ;)

luvva

without using SDK;
replace the terrain encounters script with:
#============================================================================
# ** Terrain Tag Encounters
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Yeyinde
# 1.1.0
# 06/26/07
# SDK Version : (2.2) - Parts: I
#============================================================================

module TerrainBattle
  # Encounter list data. Syntax: [map_id, terrain_tag] => [troop1, troop2, etc.]
  ENCOUNTER_LIST = {
    [2, 1] => [1],
    [2, 2] => [1]
  }
end

#==============================================================================
# ** Game_Map
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class handles the map. It includes scrolling and passable determining
#  functions. Refer to "$game_map" for the instance of this class.
#==============================================================================

class Game_Map
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Get Encounter List
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def encounter_list
    @x = 0
    @y = 0
    tile_id = $game_map.map.data[$game_player.x,$game_player.y,0]
    t_x = (tile_id - 384) % 8   
    t_y = (tile_id - 384) / 8
    th = t_x + t_y * 8
    # Make key   
    key = [@map_id, th]
    # Return hash data or default data
    return TerrainBattle::ENCOUNTER_LIST[key] || @map.encounter_list
  end
end
and it should work ;)

I'll have a look into taking out the battle system, leaving just encounter areas- it'd be a case of pulling out certain bits of the code probably.

luvva

yep- the script at the top is only for non-iso maps. in iso-maps, it uses the map i'm using for defining encounter areas as heights :P

i'm basically confusing, so i used the ISO tag because it was there- it doesnt mean its an iso-map :P

anyway, i'm done with just defining encounter areas within a map: here's the code (to be placed above main):

-Game Map-
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# â—

Nice little addition.  it looks like it simply replaces the encounter list based on your current tile/terrain tag.  That was a nice tricky move with loading the tileset in the module to get the next map id.  I hadnt thought of doing that.  I created a script a long time ago to use encounter areas in rectangles much like rm2k3 and 2k.  It was called regional monsters.  I would bet it is compatible with all this also.  I think I released it here, but if not I know you can find it on Creation Asylum.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.