Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Super Simple Mouse System

Introduction
This is a fully functional mouse system. It supports path finding, custom cursors, and full menu support.

I was inspired to make this system when I saw the mouse scripts created by Astro_mech and Mr.Mo. The path finding in this script isn't as good as the path finding in Astro's script, but you will be able to have full mouse support in all menus. The script is also based on shun's execellent mouse script (http://simp.nobody).

Note: If anyone would like to take over this project, please let me know.

Demo
You can download the demo here: DOWNLOAD MOUSE SYSTEM DEMO HERE

Version 1.1
The following changes have been made to this script since its initial release:
-Lag fixed (Oct 7,2007)
-Event w/switch on by default crash bug fixed (Oct 7, 2007)

What's next:
Path finding to be implemented.

Screenshot
downloads//mouse_fMf.png[/IMG]

Script
Download the demo

How to Use
1. Put the cursor that you want to use in your Icons folder. For example, sword.png (24x24 pixels only)
2. Add an event to your map.
3. Open the event and put a comment on your first line. The comment should have the name of the cursor. For example: sword
4. Play game!

Credits
This is an adaptation from a script created by shun (http://simp.nobody.jp/)
Also looked at Cybersam's work and Astro_mech and Mr.Mo's mouse script. You people rock!

Bugs
1. Pathfinding isn't as good as it could be. I shall work on this. If you have suggestions, let me know.
2. If you put a comment in the first line of an event command box, and the comment isn't an icon, your game will break. I'm working on fixing this.

Hero

Is it possible to just have a point and click event trigger instead of using path finding? If someone is to make a text adventure out of this system, then it'll prove more useful. Of course, you can do what you want with it, but just a thought.

Yep, I think that could be easily done. My next project is an adventure game, so if a script doesn't exist at that time, I'll create one.

arev

Sponsor

Hi Amanda, I just love your series of "super-simple" scripts ^_^
Two questions: where's the pathfinding? I can only see moving forward to target. Which is better when the target is moving, but still no pathfinding. Second question is about the Game.exe. can you tell what changes have been made to it? And if it could cause any troubles with the default system or other scripts?
Anyway, this is already pretty good. I tried making something like this for f0tz!'s pixelmovement, but the results were quite crappy ^_^ Maybe when f0tz releases the new version there'll be something to work on again.
"Keep up" ;)

Yarks! Okay, maybe it isn't path finding? I don't know what to call it... You point, click, and the character tries to walk over to the place where you clicked.

arevulopapo, feel free to take anything from this for your own systems. I figure we've all got to help each other out if we want to make RMXP better.

Fatray

First I have to say....this really helps me out^^ thank you.
And I 've a question, how did you do that thing with the RGSS Player. I mean the one with the sword
Sorry if that isn't the right place to ask^^"""

Mac

badmanour, i'll try and incorperate it into ZTBS version 2 if thats fine with Lambchop :).

Good work btw...just tested out...its rather nice....the AI needs improving because when you go into the tent and it says its locked if you click above the horizontal line it isn't smart enough to walk to the point.

Hmm, it's a great script (and indeed super simple - which is good), but unfortunately the lag is immense. 17 fps on the title screen then 1-5 FPS in maps of more than 20x20 is what I get.

That's with this demo, and:
-3GHz Intel P4
-2 GB RAM

Very cool script here.
This would go great with my escape-the-room type mini game in my project.

-=note=-
if any of you played games like Muselink or other point-&-clink escape type games you'll understand where i'm getting at with this.
-=end note=-

-=error report=-
I"m getting an error on these two lines
rx = $mousex - (@real_x / 4 + 16)
ry = $mousey - (@real_y / 4 + 16)
How can i fix this?
-=end error report=-

-=Error fixed=-
Never mind error has been fixed.
though with the cms that I'm using this script lags the cms I'm using.
But oh well it's working now.
-=end of report=-

Wtf... you can't lock a tent... nice script though. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when you are in the door of the tent, and click on the treasure chest, it replays the "Locked" event instead of moving to the chest.

samboy;284152 said:
Wtf... you can't lock a tent... nice script though. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when you are in the door of the tent, and click on the treasure chest, it replays the "Locked" event instead of moving to the chest.

Actually, when your in the door of the tent and you click on the treasure chest, your character tries to move up, but because your in the tent, it's like he's trying to get into the tent. Not a bug, just an annoyance that could be fixed.

Other than that, great job!! I love your super simple scripts, they're all so cute looking! Good luck!

-Krobe

I've updated the script with the following changes:
-Lag fixed (Oct 7,2007)
-Event w/switch on by default crash bug fixed (Oct 7, 2007)

The next step is to get pathfinding working.

Heya, Wyatt here.

I really like this mouse system, but I have a better one already (not to sound mean or anything). But, the menu parts of this are way better than what I have.

Is it possible to have just the parts of this that affect the menu? (Would that cause any complications?) (i.e. no map mouse effects, no mouse movement, etc). Is it also possible for this to be compatible with Mr.Mo's Interactive Mouse System?

Basically, I'd like to use Mr.Mo's for everything except the menu, and then this script for the menu.

Sorry if I'm sounding/being complicated here, things tend to make more sense in my head than on-screen. :)

Also, can I use this in a commercial game (with credit of course)?

EDIT: I think I know what I'm doing actually, it seems pretty simple. This is a really simple but really effective system you have here.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.