Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Suggest me a Manga

Star

Sponsor

Hey guys. I am getting down to my last book on Rurouni Kenshin and I am absolutely loving it except I have to wait for the last two books to come in the mail cause it wasn't in the store. I'm desperate cause I have absolutely nothing to do on my lunch hour at work.

Everytime I walk into the bookstore and look at the mangas I find they are all about the same stupid thing and none of them are really relevent to my interests. I might have to settle on reading Full Metal Alchemist even if I own the whole anime set.

Tl;dr?

Basically suggest me a manga that isn't about the following thing;

-School
-Vampires
-Main characters being possessed by devils and demons
-Magical girl
-Cards
-Pretty boy/yaoi
-A girl caught in a love tri-angle (just do em both at the same time, damnit!)

Things relevant to my interests;

-Samurai (real ones, not power rangers samurai)
-Ninjas (please no Naruto ninja high school)
-Knights medieval stuff
-Action packed stuff

Mangas I've read are: rurouni kenshin, hyper police and does megatokyo count? I generally watch more anime then read, but now its needed.

I don't like manga or vampires, but I just finished reading the Hellsing manga and actually really enjoyed it. It's a ridiculous, over-the-top gorefest ruled by the Rule of Cool where everyone except like one character is totally axe crazy, but it actually has character development, and Alucard and Integra have what is possibly my favorite relationship in fiction. It's really complex and charged and unique. I just wish Hirano had given it more page space.

I know you asked for something without vampires, but I wanted to post about this somewhere, and this thread was handy.

well er, following hellsing, check out drifters by the same guy (hirano). It's historical, fantasy, and bloody as fucking fuck. basically about historical figures that are taken to some fantasy world when they are killed, called drifters, and they are meant to fight against evil drifters, drifters that are betrayed by humanity and gain some ridiculious powers led by some black king (who i personally think is christ). Not that many chapters out, but recent chapters show hitler was one, so hahaha it's a cool read.

Berserk for all your bloody needs, as well as art. Medieval knight stuff that laces fantasy throughout. Best art I have ever seen, bar none.

Deadman wonderland for some really wicked stuff that has plot twists and general insane stuff. About people that are infected with this "branch of sin" that makes them get powers by using their blood, and it really starts to draw you in after some chapters. A anime logic is generally followed through, so if you hate too much anime-stupid logic (2nd grade girlie with gigantic as fuck axe, super monk that kills people to purify them cause living sucks, initially weak protagonist that actually becomes pretty cool), maybe stay away, but there is some cool stuff here.

btw FMA manga trumphs the first anime so bad. Haven;t seen full metal alchemist brotherhood yet, but the manga goes so much beyond the first anime.

Star

Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

One of my best friends likes one piece so I'll at least read a few pages to see if it procures my interest.

I have seen some of the hellsing anime, its one of the classics despite it being about a vampire who thinks he's satan. Though it might bre hard to find without buying online

Drifters has my interest

BERSERK! I watched the whole anime, but as everyone knows mangas have more story. A classic that maybe hard to find as well

I dunno about deadman wonderland. It sounds like it goes against my wishes. I hate when things don't make sense. Like 2nd graders with axes. And special people who somehow manage to find each other

Before I made this topic, Itsuwaribito is a manga I picked up out of frustration of not finding anything. I do say it is very interesting and isn't about special powers but one guys ability to saves others from uncool people by lying and blowing them up with homemade ninja grenades.

Also, I'm not a total jfag, a comic is fine too.

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker is a great set of novels, but they also made them in Graphic Novel format which is a superb comic if you are looking for something that is shorter, but perhaps more intense. It's a Fantasy/Modern hybrid with a dual-world setting.

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Graphic-Nove ... =1-3-spell
http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Graphic-Novel- ... pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.ca/White-Graphic-Nove ... pd_sim_b_2

He has also made graphic novel adaptations of a lot of his other work, too.

Twirly

Sponsor

Perihelion":3q7eznz6 said:
I don't like manga or vampires, but I just finished reading the Hellsing manga and actually really enjoyed it. It's a ridiculous, over-the-top gorefest ruled by the Rule of Cool where everyone except like one character is totally axe crazy, but it actually has character development, and Alucard and Integra have what is possibly my favorite relationship in fiction. It's really complex and charged and unique. I just wish Hirano had given it more page space.

I know you asked for something without vampires, but I wanted to post about this somewhere, and this thread was handy.
I co-sign this

2008-07-24-Page%2015.jpg

JESUS CHRIST: IN THE NAME OF THE GUN

Best purchase I have made in a while.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.