Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Space Ship movement request

Hello, I am looking for a movement system for a Spaceship. It's going to be very hard to script though...

• When you are moving up, and turn right, you drift for a second and then move right. Diagram below.
  • More specific movement speeds. (15 speed e.g)
    ________                    _ = Right/Left
    _                                /  = Diagnally right
  _                                \  = Diagnally Left
  /                                  | = Up/Down
/
/
|
|
|

It's a bit of a poor diagram but I think it shows what I need.

Wait a minute, you want us to script a movement system idfentical to Asteroids? You might be better off in Game Maker for that kind of thing, it even comes with a free asteroids demo. If not, you're going to have some performance issues, because RMXP/RMVX do not handle pixel movement, sprite rotation, and multi-diractional movement very well, especially when put all together. (By multi-directional, I mean going beyond the standard 4 and 8 directional movement into one where you can move in any direction)

you could event this :\

Place the player into the corner and surround him with unpassable tiles

then, set up a parrallel event system that has conditional branches for when each direction is being pressed

(This isn't needed, it just helps with interaction control for this kind of game and makes things less hectic)

Use a event to represent your actual player or "ship" w/e

then in the conditional branches of when the directional button is being pressed, set the event to move left, right, up, down, etc

Since I'm going to assume this is a scroller, when ever you press left or right, in the conditional branch set the thing up with some change characterset events

Meaning, prepare a characterset with the "plane" w/e turning

then change it as you turn

it's pretty simple if you understand the event system, if you can't get it I'll try to go in more detail but thats the gist of it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.