Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

SleepingDuck's Pond

I've always wanted to dabble with orchestral music making, and because of this event I've finally found the courage to start! Here are the tracks I made so far:

• [new track!] Strings (probably needs a better title)
    Slow and calming, mainly violins with an oboe later on. Uses Florestan Woodwinds for the oboe (recommended over SSO's oboe!).
  • A harp near a fountain
    A harp playing a short melody near a fountain. The first piece I made, mainly a test if I could get the sound right. Uses a public domain fountain recording.

Feedback most welcome, and you're free to use any piece in your noncommercial games! Bonus points for notifying me if you do, as that makes me happy :).

All music made using Reaper and parts of the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra soundfont collection, while Freeverb3 VST with the right settings makes the instruments sound realistic. If you have any further questions about how I made all this, fire away!

Hey, this sounds great. Maybe the water is a bit loud? (Might just be my ears). It matches together well though and I could see this in a scene.

Thanks for the feedback and the compliments! I agree that the water might be loud depending on your listening setup. I'll change it if I make a longer version.

@Xilef: note that this was made almost exclusively with free stuff (Reaper is a 60-day trial, but SSO and Freeverb are free), so you can give it a go as well!

@strings: Nice! really soothing and magical.
I loved the 2nd violin parts and the woodwind blended in really nice.

Too bad it ended (so quickly :P )

Injury

Awesome Bro

@strings- I like it! Try to add some pizzicato arpeggios to add to the depth.

@harp- The water is overpowering. I would have it be more present at the start, drop the water's level down while the harp is playing and bring out the harp's mids a bit. I like it though! Where is the fountain though, inside? Is it a church? Reverb can be your friend, as well as dual tracks at L/R for a stereo effect, or if you have the plugin for it, 3d sound mapping!

@jroovers: Thanks! Yeah, it could be a bit longer, but I was out of time and ideas ;).

@Injury: Can you give an example of the kind of pizzicato arpeggios you mean? I think you're right, but I just can't imagine the right sound :). Good suggestion on the water volume level! As for the fountain location, I imagined it inside a castle, in a somewhat large room with a few windows through which sunlight flows in :P. I'll give it more thought in new pieces and experiment with channels a bit.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.