Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Skills that change States

Jonny

I'm looking for a script that makes it so that when you use a skill it removes a certain state from the user even if the skill targets the enemy. I've tried doing this with events but it didn't work, and I've already found a way to make sure the skill can only be used when you have that state.

If you don't understand here's an example:
If an actor uses poison slash it damages the enemy and removes the venom state from that actor.

If the skill can only be used by just ONE particular actor, you could set the skill to call a 'common event' that removes the status effect.

The [Change State] event either removes a single state from the WHOLE party or one specified actor, so if this skill can be used by just one particular actor... you're set.

Jonny

It's a skill that can be used by everybody. It's a sort of combo system. They have to select the prepare combo skill which gives them the combo ready state and then they can use double slash or triple slash or something like that. All of that works but the skill doesn't take away the combo ready state.

Create an extra state that removes "combo Ready" status set it so when this skill is used combo ready status is removed from the character.
Also for your poison slash example just use a common event that removes venom state from the character when it's used.

Jonny

If there was an extra state that removed combo ready then how would I give the actor that used the skill that state?
Anyway, I just remembered that you can make a state wear off after a certain number of turns so I have that for now.

Jonny

I can't find where to put attr_reader :active_battler since the SDK replaces the scenes so I'll keep it so that it wears off after 2 turns..

My friends say it's better to be able to use double attack twice anyway since if you use a turn to get a state then use a double attack it's the same as attacking twice.

Jonny

Well, with Trickster's individual turns cbs it's acting wierd. When they both have the status then if actor 1 uses the skill then actor 2's turn is right after his then actor 2 will lose the state instead.
I'll keep it so that it wears off after 2 turns. Less work for everyone and it works just fine.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.