Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Skill system SORT OF like License Board (FF12)

Um well yeah. I'm not sure of all the details I would want with a system like this, but I THINK for my game I would like to have a kind of skill system like this.

-You gain AP or something from enemies.
-You go to an option in your menu called Skills or something.
-Each character has their own "board" with several skills on it. It would be sort of a mix between the talent tree from World of Warcraft, and a little bit of the license board from Final Fantasy 12.

Again, I am not exactly positive of the details, but I would like to hear suggestions from other people of how it could work, and then if someone would be willing to make the script, that would be great.

Let's use a mage type person for example of how it MIGHT work:

You go to his/her "skill board." You can see the whole skill tree, but you can't see what they are ahead of time, they are just black squares/circles/whatevers. There are 3 skills he can choose from starting at the top of the tree, each with their own branching paths. Each cost...say 25 AP. There is Fire, Poison, and Strength Down or something like that. You have 25 AP and choose to learn Fire. The two squares that branch off of Fire become visible, they are Blizzard and Thunder and each cost 25 AP. Blizzard branches into Blizzara on the left, and Water on the right. Thunder branches into Thundara on the right, and also has Water on it's left. So they share the water ability. If you learn Blizzard, Blizzara and Water become available, but not Thundara. Blizzara and Thundara don't lead to any other paths, but Water leads to 3 more skills: Earth, Aero, and Dark or something.

Poison (at the beginning of the tree) branches to Sleep, Silence, and Blind.

Strength Down branches into Agility Down, Magic Down, and Defense Down.

And it's not like once you choose Fire, you're stuck on that path. You could, in theory, learn every single skill, but that would be very hard to do. You could evenly put points into the different branches, but then you would probably never get the best spells of any of the branches.

Do you see what I kind of mean? I REALLY like this idea, and I was wondering if maybe there's already something like this, or if someone could make it. Maybe if there's a sphere grid (FF10) script already, not sure if there is or not, that could work. I dunno, but I would really really like to use something like this and I'm sure others would too.

Edit (again): I got so excited for this idea that I drew up an (incomplete) example of how Zeth's (a mage in my game) skill board would look. There would probably be another tree, but this is just a quick incomplete one I did.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/ ... lltree.png[/IMG]

Edit (yes...again): I realize that the way I want it would be basically impossible for someone to just make a script and anyone could just put in their skills and AP required or whatever and it would do what I want. So I realized that I guess I could do the skill trees with events on a map (I did a custom menu in RM2k3, so I know how to make it feel like a menu), but I would still need a script that gives AP, shows how much AP you get after every battle, and I would need instructions on how to do stuff with a call script command, like I would be able to take my mage, and make it so when I go to the "skill board" (a map) and set it so it switches to the AP that he is holding, and it would be able to take away JUST from his pool of AP. The characters wouldn't share AP, they would each have separate.

Edit (...one more time lol): I was looking at Moghunter's menus, and I went to his resources. On one site I found icons that are absolutely PERFECT, and very, very close to what I had in mind. I could use these as the events, and I could just do it event-based like I said. I COULD do all this easily (well...not easily) with variables, and it wouldn't really be that much of a problem for me. But I don't know of a way to add 1 to a variable every time an enemy is defeated. That is the ONLY problem I am facing.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.