Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simple Maths Battle System.

I've been thinking a lot recently about this battle system idea that I had, and would love to use. I, sadly, don't have any credible scripting knowledge I can put a script into my game and I can credit give credit to whoever made it, that is why I have come here. I know it would be hard to make but I would love to see it made.
I, like most, have no money to offer for some time, but I can pay with credit and love. :)
I know the chances are that most would want to be payed and I wish I could pay you, but I'm broke.
There is a lot that may be changed or added or removed, but I hope the whole thing still stays pretty much in tact.
TL;DR I'm broke but I would like someone to make this script.
So without further ado, here is the concept:
Simple Maths Battle System
The basic principle of this battle system is that it is simple maths for the player. Basic adding and subtracting.
I’ll be using “N” for your “Attack number.”
There are 3 types of “Attack” and 2 types of damage.
Attacks:
“HP Attack”
Deals damage to your opponents HP.
The “N” is the amount of damage you can do to your opponent, but it is also your defence.
So let’s say your “N” is 200, and your opponents “N” is 100. If you was to attack their HP the process would follow thusly: 200 - 100 = 100
So 100 would be the amount of “HP” damage.
“Atk Attack”
This deals damage to your opponents “N”
The attack will say how much of your opponents “N” is taken away.
Say your opponent has 100 “N” and your Atk Attack says “ - 25%” the attack flow would be like this:
100 - 25% = 75
So your opponent will be left with 70 “N”
This process would be rounded up if it went into decimals.
“+ Atk”
This skill would be the opposite of the previous attack type. It puts your “N” Up.
So it would flow like this:
N = 100
100 * 25% = 125 N

The Damage types are HP Damage and Atk Damage.
You would also be able to have items that have effects to ATK and HP. Like “Atk Potion” and “Hp Potion.”
So how do you know what number you will start with at the start of the battle?
Well your stats would be something like:
HP
ATK
SPEED
Your Hp is your health.
Your ATK would decide what your “N” is at the start of the battle.
And your speed would decide the order you go in.
So lets do a written example.
Good Guy
Stats:
HP1000
ATK: 150
Speed: 50
Atk attacks:
Jumping Dragon Kick:
- 100 ATK
Summon Meow Meow Moew:
- 10% ATK for the next 4 turns
Great pumpkin punch:
- 50%. You cannot use ATK attacks for the next 3 turns.

+ ATK Attacks:
Charge:
+ 25% ATK for the next 2 turns. You cannot attack for the next 2 turns.
Over drive:
+ 100% ATK for the next turn. You cannot do anything for the next 3 turns after that.

Bad Guy
Stats:
HP: 500
ATK: 300
Speed: 45
ATK Attacks:
Goblin strike:
- 30% ATK for the next 2 turns.
Evil Laugh:
Absorb 20 ATK from your opponent.
Nasty Feel:
- 50% ATK. Your own ATK is -25%.

+ ATK attacks:
Boost moral:
+ 15 ATK for the next 4 turns
Take a break:
+ 25% ATK for the next 4 turns. You cannot attack for the next 4 turns.
That is the type of things that would be in this system
Layout:
I’m unsure as to weather the layout should be pokemon styled like:

Enemy sprite..............Number

Number...................Character sprite

Or Typical rpg:

Enemy Sprite....................................Character sprite
Number............................................Number
Also:
I would be looking to make it so that you can have other characters in your party. I would be doing this by having something like a "Switch" button, that swaps your character, and sends out the next in the party.
You can also go here to read it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZLK ... ETFYk/edit

Thank you if you took the time to read this, and if you considered this. And a big thank you if you do decide to actually help with this. :)
I hope that this idea catches somebodies eye.
Please PM me or type in the thread if you do want to work on this.

~ImHiPotion

Okay. Nobody has replied to this yet, I currently lack money to spend on this as of yet, however I will be saving some money. Therefore I would like to know. If I were to pay someone for a script like this, how much would I be looking to pay them.

It seems like your asking for something similar to Paper Mario.
Well...sort of similar except using other numbers.

Look, if noone else helps you when I check back, I can point you towards some Scripting tutorials, All in video too.
Teaches the basics such as setting up variables to the more complex and advance such as music, arts, data processing and so on.

I've never used VXAce before and don't have time to fulfill your request, but I'd love to offer some pointers if you're interested in coding this yourself. From what I've read (and assuming RGSS3 is similar enough to RGSS), it looks like it's easily accomplishable from some minor edits to the damage-calculating algorithm (and it'll be a great introduction to programming with basic maths)!

It's totally okay if you've never programmed before: Ruby is pretty clean and easy to pick up. I'd certainly advise you do learn, though, if you're at all interested in the game industry (for something other than art/music). It's a skill I think every game designer/developer should have!

regi, would you give me some pointers, cause it seems like an interesting thing to accomplish. I just did my CS midterm today and my interest for programming is more present than ever. of course hiccup can have the final product c:

I haven't played with VX Ace before (and I'm not too inclined to go and download it), so would one of you mind posting the battle scripts?

If it's anything like RGSS, you'll find a bunch of functions like
def attack_effect
or
skill_effect
that calculate the damage based on a given input. Because of how it's structured, all you need to do is modify the code in specific functions to get the desired effect! Try reading through some of them and see if you can figure out what they do (it can often be intuitive, since Ruby reads almost like English). I'll try and give some more pointers after you post the code.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.