Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simant Remake

I had this idea last year but didn't have the means to make it happen, now I do so I'm going to develop the idea more.

The concept is a remake of the Maxis 1991 game; Simant.

I used to play this game a lot as a child on my old Macintosh, it's considered abandon-ware now so it's lost in time.

Gameplay:
Simant is an ant-farm simulation game, it's black ants vs. red ants. It's very much similar to the RTS genre (Before even Dune II was released).
The player controls a single ant in a colony, it's their job to get the nest built and then destroy the red ant's nest and take over the garden (And house).

The ant the player controls has the ability to change class to any existing ant such as worker, soldier, breeder and the queen, each class are better at tasks than others.

You need to locate food, take it back to the nest and then recruit ants for battle. There are also other bugs around in the garden, caterpillars make great food sources if you kill them, spiders are fast and lethal so you need to take them down fast, and ant-lion larvae can drag your ants down and eat them, so these need to be dealt with also.

Once the queen is killed it's game over.

Features:
When you pick up food your ant starts dropping down scent for other ants to follow, this makes a handy path and the other ants can then drop their scents.
Rain washes away scent and rain drops can kill your ants.
Dig your nest in a side-view aspect, explore the garden from top-down view.
Move rocks around strategically to build walls to protect your food or nest.

New ideas for the remake:
Monitor nest temperature, the more ants in the nest the greater the temperature.
Other weather effects to promote the upkeep of food (Rain makes food healthy, hot days makes it bad, during hot days ants must find food elsewhere or live on supplies).
Aphid farming! So ants can eat their poop :V
Hide under flower heads to protect from rain.

List of enemies:
***Original***
Enemy ants
Spider
Ant-lion larvae
Lawnmower
Rain droplets
Flood waters in nest
***New enemies***
Insecticide
Fungal infections (Infected ants carry it into nest, must kill infected ants and quarantine fungal spores to stop it from spreading).
Wasps (Carry your ants away 1 by 1).
Mites (Carried into nests, kill host then kill other ants, the mite itself must be killed)

I'm thinking of turning this into a sort-of dwarf fortress thing.

I would like help with expanding this idea please!

EDIT: Here's a demonstration of a land-generator I made for this.
landgen.png

EDIT2: I guess people find this concept boring? Here's the start of an ant nest
nestproto.png

This is an awesome idea - shame on people for not replying!

Are you still interested in it?

My approach would be to first remake most of the original and then add in new features as that got rolling.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.