Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ship Movement - Wide Arcs

This is the first of a few reuests I'll be making for my game. Since I don't have RMXP right now (my brother took my computer to college for the time being), I figured that I'd post this early so whoever takes it will have plenty of time. No rush.

Now, in my game a good part of it is sailing your pirate ship around on the water. So this is going to be a movement script for the pirate ship.

Here's a basic checklist of the things the script will need, then I'll go into detail.

The ability to turn the script on and off
Pixel Movement (most likely needed)
Wide arcing turns by default
Holding down a button while moving will allow for closer more controllable turns

Most of those are pretty easy, right? I might have to exapnd on the actually movement, though. The easiest way to to that is to explain in terms of the game Wind Waker- in which your ship realistically has to make wide cirlces to turn around. Yet you can hold the L button to move with more accuracy, although slower.

If you haven't played Wind Waker, the best I can do is illustrate using real world logic. Picture a boat in the ocean, and you'll know that it can't make nice straight grid-turns like a normal sprite in the RMXP engine. It'll have to make big wide arcs in order to turn properly.

This is one of the two big essential scripts that I'll need for my project (the other being a character select when you hit a battle- I'll make that request later on).

If anybody can take this up, I thank you. And you will get credit. I also don't care much about keeping things like this exclusive to me- after all, I'm not making the script, so whoever takes this up for me is free to release it on their website or this forum or whatever.

I understand that this request isn't the traditional "custom menu system" request, but remember there's no rush since at the moment I don't have RMXP.

Post any questions here, or PM me. Thank you!

Well, if I understand correctly, then it could be possible, it would be advanced though, as you would probably need to rewrite the movement classes to make it work with circles. And you would need a 3D boat sprite otherwise the boat would be all screwed up :P

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.