Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Shadow Script V.4

Maybe instead of having the exact sprite shape, you could make a circular shadow as an option instead of the sprite shape, that way you can still use the light perspectives, but they wouldn't have to be as detailed, yet they can show the shadow and light areas just as well, another good reason for that would be for when jumping making shadows smaller would be easier.

oooh love the new features you mentioned cant wait for this, maybe you can make it so you can stretch the shadow graphic for a cutscene ( for a character like Shikamaru for his shadow jutsu)

Somewhat Offtopic:
do you think after this you can update or create a new destruction engine if you dont have other plans for a script?

This is probably would be insane, what about the shadows for the buildings, large objects.
Called by a comment line: 'Shadow: Building: TileHeight: TileWidth: Degree'
Or something like that.
If Rataime think this would be impossible, ignore this post. :p

Kurisu, I thought that too, but in fact a greek man called Thales succeeded ages ago with only a stick, so I don't see why I couldn't ^_^
In a future version, maybe.

By the way, I am looking for beta testers, preferably people who uses this script in their projects, and people who had lag problems before. PM me if you want to be one.

New version posted, see first post.

Archive of the previous post here :

Hi everyone,

Given that I'm back, and that I have a nice idea to improve the shadow and the reflection script, I am going to work on it (once more).

However, I need some feedback. These scripts are quite old, so please tell me what work, doesn't work, crash, could be improved.

I also want to know once and for all what syntax I should use in event comments :
The old "s", "r", "hero_r" (quick but not compatible with other scripts)
The old new way ("begin" tags...God that was stupid)
A new, more compatible way (Like everyone else : "Shadow|180|140)
A completely configurable way, using regexp for example (but can't guarantee compatibility)

Note that if needed I'll provide a tool to go through your project and replace the tags.

General ideas can be posted here, however I'd like you to post bug reports here (no registration required) : http://rataime.free.fr/rmxp/bugs/my_view_page.php
It's pretty straightforward, and will make my work a lot easier.
If you still want to post the bug reports here, well I'll just copy them to the bug manager, no big deal.

Awesome new script the shadows look amazing, and its compatible with the scripts that i'm using, the older versions weren't so that makes me happy, i just have one problem, i have a large map (300 , 300) and when i enter the map it closes my game, and if i set the start position on that map and i choose new game it won't load the map. hope you can help fix this.. thanx

You must have an impressive number of event for it to hang...

Try to add :
Graphics.update
before
rataime_shadow_initialize(viewport, @character)
and see if it continues.

Awesome Rataime, This script is awesome!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

If you ever need a beta-tester for anything, PM me. I'm always open to new things.

[even if my computer is a dinosaur]. XD Don't hesitate.

EDIT Note: I noticed uin the Demo that it seems the light is blo0cked by the walls and certian objects. I know I requested this feature, but I don't notice a option in the script for this. Nor do I know how you set up the blocking object/event.

Is this a feature in the script and it automatically detects the blocking object/event? Or do you have to do something special? is it the Terrain setting like I suggested or the event command?

Info on this feature would be helpful [and could potentially reduce the lag on my computer XD ]. I love the feature though. Sweet!!!!

Well, I use angle settings to make sure the source will only make shadows on one half of the wall.

I should copy thie original instructions in the first post.

I was wondering how the script knows that there is a wall there. Is it part of the script? Or did you have have to set the terrain ID for the wall?

It doesn't know ! I just set the source to light from eg 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock, or to stop the shadow at the exact distance the wall is at !

Is there away to prevent the shadows from following you when the object is no longer on the screen? This only happens with objects, I understand that you stated that the script doesn't work so well with objects, but I was wondering if this is in the process of being fixed. Or if there is already a fix to prevent this?

Thanks for the help

Edit: What I mean is-- The object casting a shadow (treasure chest) was just checked, the Hero walks away and the object is no longer on the screen (becasue you walked far away from it). But, the shadow from that object (the treasure chest) is still on the screen and follows you around at the edge of the screen.
This has nothing to do with switching the shadow of that stationary object off, as it will always have that shadow on as it will always be near the light source (the treasure chest is a stationary object).
I hope this explains things alittle better.

Edit #2:

Light Source Comments:

Shadow|120|290|200 <-- Dynamic Shadows v4.0
Light Effects <-- Near Fantastica Date: 28.06.05 v3.0
RightLantern <--Near Fantastica Date: 28.06.05 v3.0

Objects Shadow Comments:

Comment: o
Comment: chest <-- Passability Mini Map by squall
30th of May 2006

Note: The above problem did not occure with the Old version of Dynamic Shadows (The version before v4.0 that is)

Also noticed: Shadows on objects will not carry through an event even if the opacity is set to 255. Pics below will show you what I mean.

Do you mean when the object that is used as the light source disappears?

If that's the case then it should automatically disappear when you turn the event off, but I didn't test that when when I beta-testing [never crossed my mind that you would want to do that].

Rataime would be better suited to answering that question though. I just know that there is an option in the script that tells the shadow to disappear when the event's transparency drops below a certain number [default 254, but changeable].

I'll see if I can get that to work.... maybe if you turn the event off with a switch [if you haven't already done so]. That might work.

Fenwick : this appears to be a quite unexpected bug that I don't understand. Could you post your configuration and the comments you add ?

hey sorry but adding

Graphics.update
before
rataime_shadow_initialize(viewport, @character)

still didnt work is there anything else you can do?
and yes i have ALOT of events on my map.. i have 402 right now... i have 3 towns and a field thing in this map.. or should i just try making the map smaller...

I must say it is a thrill to have you back rataime. You were one of the few that inspired me to be where I am today. Your scripts to this day amaze me. Masterpieces that I don't think get half the credit they deserve.

Keep up the amazing work. I will be sure to learn from this script... again.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.