Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Sampling Contest! [ohgodwhatamidoingiamnotgoodwithsamplers]

Twirly

Sponsor

Introduction to Sampling
Some of you might ask: "What the fuck is sampling?"

Well, the concept of sampling is pretty basic! You've got a piece of music, or pretty much anything that has sounds in it (like a part of a movie) and you record
these sounds and use them to make your own music. This can be done by either chopping small parts of a sample and rearranging them OR by taking a small parts
(like 6 seconds of a song) and looping it.

But Twirly I don't own a Sampler?! ;-;
A lot of music software like FL Studio or Reason have a sampling function nowadays, so you'll prolly just have to google some Tutorials and you're all set!
But if you know somebody who has a sampler and is willing to lend it to you, take that sampler, it's so much better imo (I used FL Studio and have a sampler and so I can tell).

The Rules
  • You may use only one of the samples below and nothing else, except for drums and basslines. (thanks to kain for pointing out basslines)
  • You have to PM me the song you would like to enter with in this contest, after you have PM'd me that song, you can't change change your submission, so please wait before PMing me your beats! But you can also post your WIP beats here to get some advice from other people, any beats that are only posted here on this thread don't count as submissions.
  • If you want to participate, make a post here which clearly states that you want to participate and tell me which song you want to use as a sample!

The Samples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPvnzi4Zag
This is probably the weirdest sample of all but it has pretty dope sounds! ;D
Is used pretty often in newer hip-hop songs (for example it was used by Madlib and it was used for Big Pun too.)
(You'll have to download this sample with a youtube downloader.)

Example Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP1_1DpeBE
One of the most sampled songs in hip-hop, I'd chop this up a lot because you can't rely on loops with this one, because everybody else already used the obvious loops, so you'll have to be really original with this one.

Example Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd1-HM234DE
Well who doesn't know this song? After I found a video of how J Dilla sampled this I started chopping it in my way and then I went "Why not make a contest on hbgames?"

Example Song

Judges
So far, it's only me. I'd be glad if some people who know a bit about sampling, or music in general, joined too. *stares at tomas and moog, especially at moog*
If you want to be a judge, drop me a PM!

• Criteria for Judging (WIP Section)
    • First Impression of the Beat [1-5 Points]
    • Usage of Sample [1-3 Points]
    • Sample Used [1-3 Points]
    • Drumpattern [1-5 Points]
    • Drumsounds [1-3 Points]

Max Points: 19

Deadline
There is no deadline yet!

Are there p-p-pprices?! @_@
The prices are:
nothing, I'm a cheap asshole :)

Cool shit, I'll have a shot at this, and we'll see about judging after we have some more participants.. Does the final product need to be hiphop?

Ok, let's see if I got the picture...
I have to use only one of these samples but I can also add another instruments with it, like sawtooth, ensembles, keyboards? Or just drums and bass?

I really like this idea xD

See ya \o

moog

Sponsor

I like this idea, but make sure you ask before starting up a contest (perhaps you did, im not sure) before hand. Also, if you want to do this without incentive, dont really call it a contest. Id be glad to help judge or something if youd like me to, but im pretty busy lately.

Twirly

Sponsor

sorry dude but you can only choose one song, that's kinda the point :x (if you can convince me i could still change it though)
and yeah you can use effects, especially fading and shit is important ;O

Okay, just to clarify, i take part of one of the three sound clips you gave us and i can add any type of drums or bass, anything i missed or am i right?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.