Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Rmxp Script Generator

The Rmxp Script Generator
Hello! I Have Created A Script Generator For Rmxp Scripts
It's Stable
News:-DEAD/Merged
Features Key:Not Included Working On Works

Header
Module
Class
Scene Changing
Variable Assignment @ Creation
Actor Status
More When These Are All Green
Screen Shots

my.php
my.php
my.php
my.php
Downloads
Program:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iqfeghwoylm
Source:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zo3zhztjlzm(Please PM Me Modifications So They Can Be Added To The main Program)
Instructions
Note:If Using Source Do 1 and S2
1.Unzip The File
2.Open Script Gen
3. Run The Install
4.Open It (When Install Finishes, It Opens)
S2.Open The Project File(Requires Microsoft Visual Basic Express 2008)
Credits
Lionel
Microsoft
Rules
1.Do Not Release The Program On Other Sites Without A Pm From Me (Ask To Get The Pm)
2.Do Not Claim This As Your Own(Program)

Interesting but...does it generate anything so far? I mean, more then something you can write in a minute? What features/kind of script do you plan for your program to generate?

Although the idea is nice, I can't say I like this kind of thing. A script generator is not really possible, in the sense you want it to be. Yes, you can make a sort of extended event system that will print out custom scripts that you design. But, until machines gain the ability to design themselves, a true script generator will never happen, because a script must be created by someone or something with the knowledge and ability to turn an idea into code, by programming it line by line.

Also, you might want to work on presentation. Capitalizing the first letter of every word, misspelling the thread title, and an overall poorly designed thread layout really do nothing but detract from what you are trying to show us.

Well a script generator, as far as generating full scripts, probably not; however, automated programs are possible, although they typically involve encoding a design pattern in a terser form in which a program interprets and transforms into another form, in this case, a script.

First decide what types of scripts you'll automate, and then decide which people will use. Once you know what people want, in a manner that is favored through automation, then you will have something to work with.

Examples of where automation works:
Lexer Generator
Parser Generator
User Interface serialization/deserialization (through transforming the objects into code and interpreting the code to reconstitute the UI elements).
Click-based event systems (use a data model to define the various kinds of events like RMXP does, and as opposed to interpreting the event model, you could expand it into its full script form).

Things that don't really play well with automation:
Battle System generation - Lots of variables, likely to miss something and will ultimately limit the resulted product by the shortcomings of your original thought process. There's no way to encode 'every possible kind of CBS'.
Rendering Effects - While these can be ordered and formalized individually where the final output would be an in-order version of the actual computations (granted depending on whether you unify the computations into one shot or literally handle each separately determines the complexity of this) - it's difficult to handle every possible kind of scenario.

From what I can tell of the screen shots, the stuff you're encoding is mostly trivialities. Perhaps if you were to encode a certain kind of design pattern into the system, have a database system where they could store a large repository of scripts and load the ones they needed for a given game (perhaps integrate it with a server, so they can avoid 'find script x on forum y' hell). Give it context awareness so that when they're typing in the editor you're providing, it gives them an idea of the object hierarchy, variables, and other factors important to a game. In order to make a utility useful to the target audience, you have to meet and likely surpass what RMXP gives them already.

Lionel":1un6ayl0 said:
And I Spent Week Learning VB For Nothing
My intent was not to deter you from your project goals.

I was just giving you a realistic view of what to expect from the term 'generator'.

I only say this because I have some experience in code generation and/or program automation. You need to have a solid understanding of what it is you're generating before you make a program around generating it.

For example, if you wanted to make a Custom Battle System generator, you would need to have a general idea of where your limitations were. If you wanted to transform the scripts associated to a custom set of events, you would need to know what kind of events you were making.

In the program you have so far, you have an idea of what you want, you just need to take it a few stages further, and generate more robust code.

'Headers' that describe who and what are as easy, for most users, as having a blank template that they fill in the blanks, there's probably even programs that handle small templates like that for them. Where a generator would be useful is adding in a logical step into the generation process. That is the generation is different, based upon a certain set of conditions, specialized to what you're trying to produce. For example, if you're making a battle system, you might have it include special code based upon what functionality they wanted in their battle system, perhaps have it setup a few limits and other functionally important elements to the script that generate more than a few lines of code as a result, and would therefore be worth having a generator for.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.