Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP.org's Logo and Mascot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erk

Revitalising MasCont:

Ccoa and I are working on the site again; I will be releasing some details in a day or two. For the new site, I would REALLY like to have a mascot. Are you interested in helping create one? MasCont does not seem like a big success, but I would be interested in forming a Mascot Development Team. The work is easy, the time is short, and your name will be immortalised on rmxp.org. You up for it? post here.

Please have some worthwile graphics/design skills before posting though. it is easy to find "idea-men", hard to find people to implement the idea. The requirements are the same, so we need pixel artists and graphic artists. I have at least one idea for the mascot itself, courtesy of Zabby, that I think you will love.

Since the original MasCont thread was hacked to oblivion, here is the detail-in-brief.

We need some kind of mascot or theme that can be turned into a logo for .org. There should be multiple forms of this mascot:
-a full image graphic for use in logos etc
-an RTP style character set
-at least one non-RTP character set (halfkaizers recommended but any is good)
-an interesting animation for each character set (or at least two of them if multiple sets are made)
-a good reason for this becoming the theme/mascot for an RPG making site

I would like a couple people to help with the graphics at least, and to help pick an idea. Like I said, Zabby gave me one, but I am not going to simply veto the idea, we can all agree.

I assume then that the decision is made to have one? I can't argue against it? Because, personally, I wouldn't prefer to have one... not that my opinion matters per se, I just figure I may not be the only one.

I'm out of the contest because I care a lot less about the site than I used to. So I will share my great idea with whoever wants it.

It was basically a kid with huge glasses dressed up in an oversized wizard's robe. And before any idiot says Harry Potter, my actual sketched looked nothing like it. Instead of a want he had a giant pencil (symbolizing design, writing, etc) and instead of stars/moons all over his outfit he had little"XPs". If I can find my old sketch I will upload it, because he really does sound stupid until you see it.

Erk

King Moogle said:
I assume then that the decision is made to have one? I can't argue against it? Because, personally, I wouldn't prefer to have one... not that my opinion matters per se, I just figure I may not be the only one.

Moog: the primary aim of the mascot will just be to add some graphical spice to the main skin. If you don't care for it you can always switch skins, and it will banish the mascot.

I was initially against the idea too, but the only alternatives I can think of for giving some visualisation to the site are either screenshots of rmxp games, or graphics stolen from the splash. Both are very cliche. Also, having a mascot opens up the way for a lot more contests and community events. Overall I think it is a good thing.

Plus, there is no reason the mascot has to be so cutesy; I for one am opposed to a cute/goofy mascot, but if the community opts for one I will go with it.

eternal_magus said:
See Despain's avatar for my vote on the mascot

no gaston/squip is hive's mascot pair if erk uses them i will file a lawsuit

in fact i will call a certain laywers secretary i know to help me out if i have to.......

Erk

You have little to worry about, I think they are dumb, particularly for .org.

And most of our old design discussion was h4xx0red so we are reworking it. You can relax.

Moog: the primary aim of the mascot will just be to add some graphical spice to the main skin. If you don't care for it you can always switch skins, and it will banish the mascot.

I was initially against the idea too, but the only alternatives I can think of for giving some visualisation to the site are either screenshots of rmxp games, or graphics stolen from the splash. Both are very cliché. Also, having a mascot opens up the way for a lot more contests and community events. Overall I think it is a good thing.

Plus, there is no reason the mascot has to be so cutesy; I for one am opposed to a cute/goofy mascot, but if the community opts for one I will go with it.

Thanks for the response; I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I suppose I can see the logic behind it. It'll just have to be a stinkin' cool mascot... No Arshes, Gloria, Basil love triangle or anything.

Erk

Home grown mascots don't need subtext, just style. We're not using an RTP battler for a number of reasons, the foremost of which is that we didn't create it. In a community about design and creation it seems a bit of a copout to use someone else's design for our representative.

Erk

I remember you making one as well. Would you like to be on the present mascot group? It is not particularly exclusive, the only real requirement is an interest in contributing. [the only reason it is not public is to prevent spammage]

I just said this on IRC, but I think a mishmash of the default characters would be a cool mascot. Of even sprite'd versions of popular/important members (a group of mascots, as opposed to just one). But... I dunno. I'm not exactly able to think right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.