Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP - Adding a Second Skill Category to the Battle GUI

Hello there! This is my first post on the forum so nice to meet you all. :smile:

Quite a simple request I think, maybe...I was hoping that someone may have an idea how to modify such scripts as to add a second "Skill" option on the battle field. So I mean like...Attack, Skill, Some other Skill, Defend, Item. Defend isn't really in my interest so that could disappear if needs be.

Just to clarify, I'm using the ordinary battle system on RMXP. The second skill option I'd like would just involve normal skills such as the ones available on the "Skill" Menu, featured on the "Skills" tab on the Database along with the others but appear under the second Skill option.

If this is super easy for some of you helpful and willing geniuses browsing this thread, is it possible to have three categories with three seperate skill options on the menu? Like "Magic", "Physical" and "Conversion" or something?

Many thanks, I don't know if it means anything but if you think there may be an issue with additional scripts, I'm using KGC's Limit Break Script (implying values over 9999 etc...not FFVII Limits), RPG Advocate's Change Party Script, XRXS's Battleback Movement Script, Mimi's Battle Music, Mimi's Battleback Changer and SephirothSpawn's Encounter Control (with no SDK).

Thank you very much in advance! :thumb:

Despite the script being in Japenese, does it work for english RMXP?
Is the actual script the one in the textbox with the scroll bar?
Do I make a new script file in teh script editor and paste it in their? Where should this new file go in relation to the others (i.e. at the end).

Thanks a lot for responding. Sorry for all teh questions...

@gerrtunk Thank you so much! I'll have a look at that shortly, hopefully it's compatible with the other scripts I've got and by the looks of what the author is saying, it will be.

@Mongoosezxc Yeah I use the English version of RMXP don't worry (I live in Japan but I'm not Japanese). The script is at the bottom, it's the window under スクリプト. You'll need to select all of that (just click somewhere in it and Ctrl+A) and paste it above Main somewhere and below Scene_Debug (just put it among the other scripts you've added, if any, that's where they all need to go). Yeah add it as a new script and name it what you like. :biggrin:

Don't worry! Ask all you like, that's what a forum's for I suppose!

Yeah that's right, it won't have made any visible difference to your game, the system, menus or anything. What you should do is add an event somewhere in a map (like an NPC or something) and use Change Level to +99 or something and in game when you play go up to the guy, talk to him a few times and see if your characters are level 300 or something. :)

Of course your HP, MP (and so on) go up accordingly too.
So you know, in the script if you have a look you can change the max levels to whatever you want of many things like player stats, gold, item limits, exp limits and so on. :haha:

EDIT:
@gerrtunk Thanks again for the advice with that script. The problem is now I'm quite well progressed on the RPG I'm working on it'll be very difficult to implement such an involved script I think, unless I figured out how to turn loads of stuff off. I hope to keep the battle system pretty much standard, just add those extra things onto the menu. Are you quite experienced with this script? If so do you know any easy way to disable 99% of it, like use the regular system and interface? Thanks again!

chair248":2m15a38t said:
Yeah that's right, it won't have made any visible difference to your game, the system, menus or anything. What you should do is add an event somewhere in a map (like an NPC or something) and use Change Level to +99 or something and in game when you play go up to the guy, talk to him a few times and see if your characters are level 300 or something. :)

Of course your HP, MP (and so on) go up accordingly too.
So you know, in the script if you have a look you can change the max levels to whatever you want of many things like player stats, gold, item limits, exp limits and so on. :haha:

EDIT:
@gerrtunk Thanks again for the advice with that script. The problem is now I'm quite well progressed on the RPG I'm working on it'll be very difficult to implement such an involved script I think, unless I figured out how to turn loads of stuff off. I hope to keep the battle system pretty much standard, just add those extra things onto the menu. Are you quite experienced with this script? If so do you know any easy way to disable 99% of it, like use the regular system and interface? Thanks again!

you want a frontal view, no?

Yeah that's right, well I just want to keep the set up pretty much as how it is at the moment to be honest, just with the opportunity to have more than 1 Skill option in battle. Maybe I could alter a Limit Break (overdrive) script so it just uses normal skills? I have no idea! :biggrin:

I'm also using ACBS in frontview. This is a addon+manual to quick configurate it, and to enable some DBS lost features.

I will be updating it with two additional features: The option to remove battle animations to target actors and the option to use rpg2k or dragonquest combat where you see a text description window.

Code:
=begin

#==============================================================================

# Quick and improved front view setting - ACBS Addon

# By gerkrt/gerrtunk

# Version: 1

# License: GPL, credits

If you dont want a classic frontview battle remove or put this script after main.

1- Go to ACBS Config 1 Basic:

Battle_Style = 2

Auto_Set_Postions = false

Custom_Postions = [[80,464],[240,464],[400,464],[560,464]]

These last values emulate the DBS actor battlers coordinates. [x,y]

2- When you import a classic static battler you must add a $ before the filename.

Example: Soldier.png --> $Soldier.png

Classic_battler: This enable a new option in the battler position priority

of the Atoa configs: between battle window contents and battle window back. This

just means that you will see it like in the old default battle system.

Also this must be enabled to select the actors opacity.

Actor_battler_opacity: With this you can select the opacity of the actors 

battlers, that in the default battle system was like 200.

=end

module Wep

Actor_battler_opacity = 200

Classic_battler = true

end

# ■ Sprite_Battler

class Sprite_Battler < RPG::Sprite

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------

def update

super

return self.bitmap = nil && loop_animation(nil) if @battler.nil?

if @_collapse_duration > 0

update_position unless $atoa_script['Atoa Chrono Trigger Battle']

update_throw

update_dummy_sprite

return

end

make_battler

update_current_frame

update_move_anim

update_move_postion

update_damage_postion

update_moving

update_position

update_effect

reset_idle_anim

update_pose

update_throw

update_dummy_sprite

# Set opacity for classic style

self.opacity = Wep::Actor_battler_opacity if @battler.is_a? Game_Actor and Wep::Classic_battler

end

end

if Wep::Classic_battler

# ■ Spriteset_Battle

class Spriteset_Battle

def set_viewport

@viewport1 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport2 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport3 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport4 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport2.z = Battler_High_Priority ? 901 : 101 # 900. Window back.z+1

@viewport3.z = Battler_High_Priority ? 2200 : 200

@viewport4.z = 5000

$game_temp.battlers_viweport = @viewport2

end

end

end

@Mongoosezxc That's why I put
KGC's Limit Break Script (implying values over 9999 etc...not FFVII Limits)
:biggrin:

There are such scripts out there, I think they're more commonly known as "overdrive" though, like in FFX, I guess the word is more distinct and less easy to mix up with something else.

If you have a look on the page I provided for you, I mean the second hyperlink with all of the scripts you'll see one called KGC Overdrive. I've never used it but it might be what you're looking for! I should probably try it too so I can see if I can change it to be what I'm looking for...although I know I know nothing about script editing...

@gerrtunk Oh many many thanks for that! I'm sorry, I'm at work at the moment but I'll have a play with that when I get back home. So do I paste this between battle window contents and battle window back or does it go below the atoa battle script? Sorry I'm just a little puzzled. I'll edit this comment out when I've had a look at the addon myself later. Thank you very much! :biggrin:

chair248":2hten9de said:
@Mongoosezxc That's why I put
KGC's Limit Break Script (implying values over 9999 etc...not FFVII Limits)
:biggrin:

There are such scripts out there, I think they're more commonly known as "overdrive" though, like in FFX, I guess the word is more distinct and less easy to mix up with something else.

If you have a look on the page I provided for you, I mean the second hyperlink with all of the scripts you'll see one called KGC Overdrive. I've never used it but it might be what you're looking for! I should probably try it too so I can see if I can change it to be what I'm looking for...although I know I know nothing about script editing...

@gerrtunk Oh many many thanks for that! I'm sorry, I'm at work at the moment but I'll have a play with that when I get back home. So do I paste this between battle window contents and battle window back or does it go below the atoa battle script? Sorry I'm just a little puzzled. I'll edit this comment out when I've had a look at the addon myself later. Thank you very much! :biggrin:

After the ACBS main code, like other addons. You dont need to do anything.

PD: New update. Now it make the configuration step 1 automatic.

Code:
=begin

# Quick and improved front view setting - ACBS Addon

# By gerkrt/gerrtunk

# Version: 1.1

# License: GPL, credits

If you dont want a classic frontview battle remove or put this script after main.

1- Go to ACBS Config 1 Basic:(you can ignore this step if Autoconfig_acbs is enabled)

Battle_Style = 2

These last values emulate the DBS actor battlers coordinates. [x,y]

2- When you import a classic static battler you must add a $ before the filename.

Example: Soldier.png --> $Soldier.png

Classic_battler: This enable a new option in the battler position priority

of the Atoa configs: between battle window contents and battle window back. This

just means that you will see it like in the old default battle system.

Also this must be enabled to select the actors opacity.

Actor_battler_opacity: With this you can select the opacity of the actors 

battlers, that in the default battle system was like 200.

Autoconfig_acbs: This option make all the config changues needed for a

frontview system automatically. But that values of ACBS Config 1 are overriden.

=end

module Wep

Actor_battler_opacity = 200

Classic_battler = true

Autoconfig_acbs = true

end

if Wep::Autoconfig_acbs

module Atoa

Battle_Style = 2

end

end

# ■ Sprite_Battler

class Sprite_Battler < RPG::Sprite

def update

super

return self.bitmap = nil && loop_animation(nil) if @battler.nil?

if @_collapse_duration > 0

update_position unless $atoa_script['Atoa Chrono Trigger Battle']

update_throw

update_dummy_sprite

return

end

make_battler

update_current_frame

update_move_anim

update_move_postion

update_damage_postion

update_moving

update_position

update_effect

reset_idle_anim

update_pose

update_throw

update_dummy_sprite

# Set opacity for classic style

self.opacity = Wep::Actor_battler_opacity if @battler.is_a? Game_Actor and Wep::Classic_battler

end

end

if Wep::Classic_battler

# ■ Spriteset_Battle

class Spriteset_Battle

def set_viewport

@viewport1 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport2 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport3 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport4 = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)

@viewport2.z = Battler_High_Priority ? 901 : 101 # 900. Window back.z+1

@viewport3.z = Battler_High_Priority ? 2200 : 200

@viewport4.z = 5000

$game_temp.battlers_viweport = @viewport2

end

end

end

Hi Gerrtunk, sorry I know I'm slow in the head. Maybe I need to seek help. Anyway I've put the basic and advanced config files along with the acbs main all above main in that order (as done in the v2 demo, I can't get the v3 atoa demo to play at all) with your addon below it but it gives me a No Method Error on line 98 on your script. It has this effect when I insert it into the demo as well. The line is
Code:
$game_temp.battlers_viewport = @viewport2
Well actually it said
Code:
$game_temp.battlers_viweport
and it didn't work so I changed the typo, dunno if that was the thing to do. Both ways around on my game and the demo it comes up with that line 98 error issue. Was there anything I was meant to do? I left the acbs stuff untouched and your addon appeared to be set up right so I left that too.

Thank you very much! :grin:

chair248":15va47ym said:
Hi Gerrtunk, sorry I know I'm slow in the head. Maybe I need to seek help. Anyway I've put the basic and advanced config files along with the acbs main all above main in that order (as done in the v2 demo, I can't get the v3 atoa demo to play at all) with your addon below it but it gives me a No Method Error on line 98 on your script. It has this effect when I insert it into the demo as well. The line is
Code:
$game_temp.battlers_viewport = @viewport2
Well actually it said
Code:
$game_temp.battlers_viweport
and it didn't work so I changed the typo, dunno if that was the thing to do. Both ways around on my game and the demo it comes up with that line 98 error issue. Was there anything I was meant to do? I left the acbs stuff untouched and your addon appeared to be set up right so I left that too.

Thank you very much! :grin:

The problem is in the atoas demo version. In version 3 he has revamped a lot of things, thats why its incompatible.

The problem is in the atoas demo version. In version 3 he has revamped a lot of things, thats why its incompatible.[/quote]

Oh okay...so should I try to use v3 instead of v2? Because I couldn't get the v3 demo to work I just gave up with it entirely and only tried v2.

Did you get v3 to work?

chair248":39dzp1iz said:
The problem is in the atoas demo version. In version 3 he has revamped a lot of things, thats why its incompatible.

Oh okay...so should I try to use v3 instead of v2? Because I couldn't get the v3 demo to work I just gave up with it entirely and only tried v2.

Did you get v3 to work?[/quote]

Yes, me and a lot of other people. You are just downloading the demo and testing it?

Ok so I found the script but game dont run cuz needs a pic or something, which means I need some graphic resources or something, which I cant well find bcuz (though the script menu page does translate) the page you get teh script from cannot. Is there any way you could use your Japanese reading abilities to guide me?

sorry for all the trouble, just want an overdrive real bad. Also sorry cuz I know this isn't really the thread for this :P

@gerrtunk Okay I tried the v3 script quickly in my game from the scripts.rxdata file (as appose to copying the scripts from the demo) but I got yet another error. I'll have a look at it in more detail tonight, I've been working lots so sorry for the lack of progress!

@Mongoosezxc Oh really? Honestly Mongoosezxc your guess is as good as mine, I've never used the script before sorry. I can try and have a look at it later if I remember but I don't really know much Japanese, I've only been here since March...
I'm sure there must be some English translations of KGC_Overdrive. But people aren't allowed to publish them online because KGC disallows any translations of its software. I'll have a look when I can but I think I'll fail at it sorry!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.