Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RM2k3-style Battle System?

I am working on getting a computer game development company started and am really interested in using RPG Maker XP or VX. But I miss the style of battle system that RPG Maker 2003 had, and I was curious as to whether there would be a way to use those animations to create a custom battle script. My partner in this venture and I both agree we want a side-view system, and we'd like to use the RM2k3 graphics if at all possible. But we also agree that we want to keep this as legal as possible, so using RM2K3 itself is out of the question.

Is there any script that does this, or can one at least be made? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sles

Using RM2K3 graphics outside of a legally purchased RM2K3 is illegal.  On the script side, someone has created this script, try searching the forum for it.  I'll look a bit as well.

Oh no, I'm not that stupid. If I were to do the RM2K3 RTP's files, I'd at least have the decency to try to find the japanese version and develop the games using that (I've heard it's possible, with a few extra characters in battle messages, to make English games with it, but I can't seem to find a version of it for sale!). But this is helping out somewhat. Since the templates were made outside of Enterbrain, I'd assume their use to be legal.

Indeed, you can use Animated Battlers as noted by Jeronimus.  I myself have made an old demo with RM2K3 styled battlers with it as the system can be adjusted to use 3-frame battlers like RM2K3 used.

Now for RM2K3 battlers themselves, you can make them with an online generator at CHARAS which I have used for a few li'l project demos.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.