Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Requesting Unified Single Script Resolution Change

Requesting Unified Single Script Resolution Change (Tileset/Menu/System/MessageWindow/ViewWindow/Ect) :biggrin:
Sepirothspawn might be able to lend a hand with this, not sure of who here are the killer scripter's yet :)

Compatibility with Mog_hancement Menu's would be Lovely. (If not, I'll hard iron the kink's) :box:

Hello all, first time posting here! Glad to join the crew here, between the hundred's of post's I've stumbled across and read, i think ruby scripting won't take long to catch on! (Graphic artist here, my knowledge of ruby scripting is 2/10 >.<)

My request stem's from day's of searching for a unified resolution solution in rmxp, however i have found plenty of "odds and ends" that work 100% of what they do, just don't cover all. No offense (bluescope / glitchfinder / begnamy) all great script's that work, I (very possibly due to my lack of knowledge of rgss) can't seem to get any of them (or all of them stacked, tried that too) to function in totality to cover a "Entire" resolution change. I don't really need compatability, I will work any other mod around this request for functionality while i learn how to do it myself, and also am willing if someone would email me, or post a tutorial on "how to", to do it myself. :angel:

Thank's in Advance

Well, the problems stem from the fact that the program is not meant to have its resolultion changed. Although you can force the window size to change, there are, as you said, odds and ends left over. THe first one I can think of is the fact that it can't be properly applied between both Windows XP and Widows Vista, due to differences in the sizes of their respective themes. The next problem is that some computers don't handle the resolution change completely, forcing the player to minimize and maximize the window before the rest of the new screen will display. The next problem is with the tilemap. The current tilemap will not completely display everything on larger resolutions, and needs to be rewritten. This was one of SephirothSpawns pet projects, the last time I checked. Other problems are with the windows and menus, which were not built dynamically, and need rewriting before they properly function in a new resoltion. Then there are the generally overlooked odds and ends, like the weather not properly displaying, partial rewrites of the battle system becoming necessary, and font changes may be necessary. Although some of these problems can be fixed by the scripters who spend their time here, some are beyond all but the most advanced of us, if they aren't beyond all of us.

Thank's Glitch :)

Yea, after tinkering with your script, I've managed to full screen the entire game minus the tileset. :thumb:

Took some work, but as close as it is, i can settle for that and just work out the rest, or lived with stretch 640x480 :cry: . Another quick question (Not sure if it's alright to double up question's on a post), I've been tinkering with variable's on (Sprite_Actor//Game_Character//Game_Battler) also, trying to allow for more frame's of animation for the 8 directional movement (NE,NW,SE,SW animation slots). Not totally sure if this is in depth, as I've managed to write my own script to allow the movement, but it's beyond me how to add frames for these.

Again thanks glitch, and thanks for the script (Resolution), it's the only one atm i can get most of my window resizing done in correctly without glitches. :angel:

IIZeusII":wkbzitl2 said:
Thank's Glitch :)

Yea, after tinkering with your script, I've managed to full screen the entire game minus the tileset. :thumb:

Took some work, but as close as it is, i can settle for that and just work out the rest, or lived with stretch 640x480 :cry: . Another quick question (Not sure if it's alright to double up question's on a post), I've been tinkering with variable's on (Sprite_Actor//Game_Character//Game_Battler) also, trying to allow for more frame's of animation for the 8 directional movement (NE,NW,SE,SW animation slots). Not totally sure if this is in depth, as I've managed to write my own script to allow the movement, but it's beyond me how to add frames for these.

Again thanks glitch, and thanks for the script (Resolution), it's the only one atm i can get most of my window resizing done in correctly without glitches. :angel:

Well, I've never worked with the character sprites, so I can't be of much help with that. Also, I would avoid making the game fullscreen with my script unless you check the screen size of the current display, because otherwise it might be too big for some people. (And that is done through Win32API, which is a horrible, horrible pain to use in RMXP) Oh, and thanks for the compliment rgarding my script. Believe it or not, the only reason I never bothered to fully document and post it was because I was planning to make several implementations to mimic classic 2d systems, like the SNES, and then document each implementation. That plan won't come to fruition any time soon however, so don't hold your breath. Also, you might want to try sending off a PM to SephirothSpawn to see how far along he is on his rewrite of his Tilemap rewrite. (It sounds complicated, but that's exactly what he's doing. As in, he's rewriting one of his scripts, which happens to be a rewrite of the hidden Tilemap class)

Yea, I'll throw him a PM and see what he write's back, thanks for all the help btw there glitch :wink:

I've manage to get my entire game minus the tilemapping working properly, with all custom 8 layered moving background menu's (derived from script of mog_menu's), and a 3 intro screen> 5 layered titlescreen down in minimal time, RGSS is a breeze! I was expecting a uber challenge, but coming from a lightweight c++ background, it's really a snap to get used to, thankfully.

If ole Sephy can milk out some mad tilemap, I'll have the polish for this venture :haha:

Thank's again Glitch,

PM me btw if you need graphical resource's also. Pretty much my area there, scripting is not my thing :toot:
Currently redrawing/mapping/coloring from the Ragnarok online sprite's if you need any XD. Thank's again!

PS. Thread can be Closed, Thx Guys.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.