Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Request: FFT adv (INTERACTIVE) style world map

Im in need of a world map script like the one in final fantasy tactics or advance i searched around and i only found one but it didnt work with my battle system :eek:: If anyone is willing to create or share a script it would be greatly appreciated and credited

Screens
600full-final-fantasy-tactics-advance-screenshot.jpg

ivalice_map.gif

FFT-Debug1.png

battle02_30s.jpg

i just kindof found this on google i want to put it on a map like this
worldmap.jpg

Request
i want to be able to navigate around the map the way you do in FFT but i dont exactly need the pirate style map. i want a menu to come up similar to fft but i want a picture of the city and a menu when you go over a town.

I know exactly what you wanted. In fact I had accepted a script request to do that for the older FFT for PS ages ago. I have still never completed it though. I really want to, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I will do it in my scripting tutorials! Although, I wonder what would be the best way to store the 'paths'.

This is what s/he wants.
Watch this video between the times of 8:14 and 8:28.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcI5vTlXB1w

The beginning of the video also shows how it reveals new 'places' to visit.

Or.. this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQX2_y-U34A between 2:43 - 2:52.

So.. Brew/Others.. what do you think would be the best way to get that sort of movement? I was thinking that I would follow 1 of 3 methods..
1. You would create a path image file, that would be a single point by point line that would lead you (via image inspection) from point a to point b. Inefficient, but it only happens when the path is 'drawn'.. after which it would be stored in an array indicating the [fromMapId, toMapId] as the key to that path.
2. I would make it more simple and provide 'way points' in which I would simply take a straight line path between these points (which could be endless if you wanted.. and hence could achieve a similar result to 1.
3. I would simply force the player from point a to point b via a direct straight line.

4.. open to suggestions.

Something like a mini database, using 2 tables (point pairs, paths) using your 'hash' idea in #1
so, pair (point 1, point 5) might use (path 1, path 3, path 5)
pair(point 1, point 2) might use just (path 1)
then each path would be a series of 'waypoints' (smaller straight line moves) between adjacent points.
This would require a bunch of upfront work for the user, entering the points & paths.

If the objective is to make it easy on the game-maker, then a pathfinding algorithm using your single pixel width lines might be the way to go. If the path on the actual map is drawn in a single specific color that is not used for anything else on the map, you could extract it from the map instead of requiring another picture.
Then the pathfinding algorithm treats each pixel as a single 1x1 passable cell to find the shortest path.
The map designer would have to make sure each path is fully 'passable'. i.e no gaps.
Quite a bit more work for the programmer, but very 'user friendly'

Interesting project...

Wow well thank you both for taking your time to look into this request im anxious to see a result.. keep me informed on any progress or questions you have about how it should be done but gubid pretty much cleared it up.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.