Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Request: FFT adv (INTERACTIVE) style world map

Im in need of a world map script like the one in final fantasy tactics or advance i searched around and i only found one but it didnt work with my battle system :eek:: If anyone is willing to create or share a script it would be greatly appreciated and credited

Screens
600full-final-fantasy-tactics-advance-screenshot.jpg

ivalice_map.gif

FFT-Debug1.png

battle02_30s.jpg

i just kindof found this on google i want to put it on a map like this
worldmap.jpg

Request
i want to be able to navigate around the map the way you do in FFT but i dont exactly need the pirate style map. i want a menu to come up similar to fft but i want a picture of the city and a menu when you go over a town.

Problem with that is you either need a path to walk upon, or pre-defined pixel coordinates. For the map style you display in the last image definately a path, and that's somewhat tricky. I'm pretty sure FFTA used predefined pixel coordinates, so you might be best off with that, no?

Valid point. I was taking "FFTA style" as in "exactly as in FFTA", which features a moving sprite... simple cursor movement would be a lot easier, but nonetheless, whoever might do this request should know which to do ^^"

I was being facetious. (aka a "Smart-Ass")

You are drastically limiting the # of people who can respond to your request to only those that are familiar with FFTA.
(The last "Commercial" rpg/adventure game I played was "Necronomicon (c) 2001")

You need the sprite to walk along the paths between locations? Or just jump to each location (like a cursor)?

What's in the menu popup for each location?

the character can do either id prefer it to walk along the paths but i have no experience in scripting so i dont know how challenging it would be when you walk over a town i want it to say EXPLORE, SHOP , INN , CANCEL and i would also like to place things like woods or caves on the map i want the menu to say EXPLORE, CANCEL or in small incidences say something like MERCHANT or QUEST

You want the character to walk, automatically along the path to the next location after the user presses an arrow button?
Or does the user use the arrow buttons to walk the character wherever he chooses?

Given your exceptionally vague requirements, I'm still not sure why you need a script to do this. It's just automating built-in functionality.
And since you will most likely only have one world-map, it's hardly worth automating any further.

I did this demo in about 20 minutes (including graphics). (It was lunch time, and I was bored)

http://hbgames.org/user_files/FFTA_WorldMap.exe

Yes, it's goofy. I'm not an artist. But it's still a solid example of what you can do with events & pictures, etc..
Lay in some nice graphics, and you'll have something pretty cool.

Plague, my method is still 'tile-based', so if someone wants something more free flowing the script is still viable.
Or any type of specific functionality you can't do easily with events. (real menus instead of a choice box, nicer transitions, etc...)
Although in either case the graphics is a big part of the work.
Besides, it's not always the "Thrill of the kill", it's the hunt! ;)
And sometimes (usually, around here) you have to blow your own horn.
The editor is really cool. I'll have to take a look at how you implemented it. When's it gonna be done, and available?

due to lack of anyone helping me test it, prob never. doesn't seem like anyone wants to use it, ive only put a little work into it since i released the last version

edit: dont get me wrong it works, exp if you use my old version to set up then import into new(major hassle for non scripters) there are just a fair number of bugs in the editor(well i cleaned up most of them since release) but my point it it does work, just not perfect irt to editor

Well im sorry for such a dull and undetailed request but thank you brewmeister youe demo has helped me realize how stupid and newbish my question was but thanks for helping...
Thank you plague as well you script will probably be what i use

I didn't say, or imply, 'dull' or 'stupid'. I was only remarking that the request wasn't detailed enough to describe what you really wanted.

The demo I did met your requirements as stated. But I assume it's not what you really wanted.

If I asked you, "Will you build me a car?" (In my analogy, you know how to build cars), you wouldn't really know what I wanted. If I said, "Make it just like that car Bob has." and you didn't know Bob (or his car) that really doesn't help much, does it?

Citizen, it used the infrared port on your computer to scan your wallet & determined that you didn't have enough gold. :wink:

thats basically what i wanted i mean of course its not exactly what i was looking for but i feel i can make edits to it and it would be quite sufficient i would still like there to be a courser to select areas on the map but youve given me more info and examples then anyone else thank you :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.