Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Reporting and You

Erk

If you look in the lower left of pretty much any post on the board, you will see a button that looks a little like this (varies depending on skin):
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/skin_images/ ... report.gif[/img]

[rw=Report Button]Tana wrote a lovely Wiki article about it[/rw], and I will add my own information here.

Let me tell you what this button does not do.
  • It does not get the person who posted in trouble
  • It does not get the reporter in trouble
  • It has nothing to do with warns/infractions
  • It does not PM every mod on the board
  • It does not ring my alarm clock, get me out of bed, make me brush my teeth, adjust off Japan time into North American time, check the board for hackers, see that you were pulling my leg, and let me go back to bed. Sorry.

What it DOES do is create a topic in a forum only mods can see, containing the content of the post and the content of your report. That is all, really. Mods then review the report and decide if we need to go in and do anything.

If you do not report, then there is a good chance a mod will not look closely at the topic you are in, and may not ever notice that something needs to be done (particularly in the case of minor issues like request topics needing cleanup, or topics in the wrong forum).

If you do report, you can make sure a mod gets to the topic fast! Reporting makes the forum run smoother. It has nothing to do with ratting other users out, since in the case of misbehaviour the mods will eventually catch it anyway. All it does is oil the gears of this cumbersome, fast-moving forum so that it stays a comfortable place for all users.

Please do not hesitate to use a Report in a situation where a mod is needed. If a topic needs to be moved, don't post "this topic is in the wrong forum", or "could a mod please move this?" -- in fact, this is spam and can get you in trouble. If you notice something that needs a mod, click the REPORT button and send us that message where we will actually see it.

final note:
Note that you can report any post. You can report MY post, you can report your OWN post, et cetera. Reporting the first post of your own topic is a great way to get it moved when you post in the wrong place or when you are ready for a transition from New Projects to Project Discussion.

Way to go, Erk, for typing all this up, this will hopefully clear up some things for newcomers to the forum and forums in general, and some rumors that reporting should only be used to get people in trouble. Major props.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.