Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Red mage lvl up system

Avarus

Hey guys, in my game i have a red mage (mage who uses white and black magic). I was wondering if somebody could please script me a a system where using white magic lvls up the white magic skill, and then using black lvls up the black magic skill. You need higher magic lvls to learn better spells. (to learn a spell, you have to buy or otherwise obtain the appropriate spell tablet.) So like, to learn curaga you'd need a White magic lvl of 15 of something

So, for example, If you only used white magic, you would get a high lvl really quick and be using better curative spells earlier in the game. If you used black magic lots, you'll be using really strong black magic spells and own in battles.

If anyone does this, id like for the lvls to max out at 30, and have easily customizable xp values ( so ill just do them myself)

Thanks, Avarus

I don't know of any scripts like that, nor am i a scriptor myslef, but I'm good at varaibles.
But I have a pritty good idea, and I don't think any game used it before.
First > you kill a monster and gain 15 exp to Zack (your red mage)
Second > you find a red mage shop (could have a best friend of a that character of something like that) to buy your lv.
Third > you choose between leveling your white or your black magic.
Forth > ex. white - 17 Magic - cost of leveling it.
Black - 25
Fifth > looks like you can't afford one, go level once more and gain 15 more exp.
sixth > if you choose one of them, then you'll lose real exp, which makes your character level slower, but also makes the game longer and provides another reason to level up, higher the level you are the more exp you can hold to get higher levels of magic.
seventh > makes sence to me because when you give up your exp, it is like the character is actually learning the skill. it takes effort to learn magic now.lol
eigth > when you level up a magic, put up on variable in (what ever you name it) for that magic it is representing.
Ninth > when you find a skill (in a chest or smething) put conditional branch saying that the white magic variable needs to be higher to learn that.
Tenth > it would be easier to use this idea for one guy but it is possible to use it for all.
forth > and it it comes to the credits part, put yourself for doing this..lol. since you didn't use a script.
LAST >>>> if you want me to make a demo of this, just tell me.

And truthfully, both of those post are spam.

sillypieman, I don't see the point of your post at all. "Good idea!, but I won't use it." And what does that have to do with the request at all?

NoNakuKoroNi, that explanation was pretty horrible, and doesn't even fit the request. I am sure everyone appreciates people trying to help, but... <insert something constructive, yet polite here>. And this is a script request forum. It's quite annoying people posting even systems that don't even meet the request or are explained as poorly as yours. Sorry. I am just crude like that.

I geuss I kinda did explaine it bad...lol...saphiroth, you fit your name well...crude, yet to the point.
the only thing that mine misses is the script ( after all we are useing variables)
and the fact that he's magic level doesn't level by useing that kind of magic.

Sorry for the lack of update.

I actually have most of the system actually done. I am working on creating a custom scene that will display your points, skills you have learned and skills you will learn, etc. It will probably be another 2 weeks before it is completed however.

I could try and do this for you via events, but since seph is working on it, there's no place for n00bs like me here :P
If you want me to try though, just tell me.

It could be like this:
We would need 2 variables, one for WM, one for BM.
Every W or B spell would be linked to a common event, adding to the appropriate counter variable. For example, Fire would give 1 BM point, Fira 2, and so on.
According to the aamount of points you would have, you'd get the appropriat lvl, and buy the appropriate spells. Really not that hard, I think.

But a script is always better. And a seph script is always the best. (along with trickster's, I don't wanna be caught between these two, so let's say they are equal :D )

EDIT: sorry about that, I forgot it's a script request thread. offer is stil on though.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.