Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Racing script in rmxp?

Hi, Im just wondering if it's possible for a racing script in rmxp?
something very similar to "super mario kart" on the super nintendo.
(super famicom).

I was thinking I'd love to make an rpg game where instead of you
doing battles, you have races instead in the form of what it's like
on super mario kart. Clearly you wouldnt walk about the map and
enter into races automatically, instead the game would be more
story based and as you meet people, they challenge you to races
where then your taken to another map thats the race track.

Iwas thinking this could probably be done with events but I suppose
the tricky part would be the AI for the other npc racers challenging
you.

what do you think? is it possible? if so would someone be willing to give
a script a go, my arm could possibly be twisted to pay for someone to
write this script.. keeping in mind though im a student so don't earn a
lot.

Well, technically speaking anything is possible, but you're somewhat requesting for someone to make a FPS with a platformer maker. RPG Maker is absolutely not suited, to say the least, for a Mario Kart-styled racing game. Some scripter with no life besides RPG Maker might want to go for it, but that guy is not me anyways... Good luck with your project.

Maybe just a mode7 script that also rotates the map to get the perspective.
Then the actual racing could be done by events. Just the speeds of other cars and the direction they move in. Skiing mini games were pretty common in the old rpg makers. You look at how people set the controls for ideas.

Terv

Correct, just take a Mode7 (or H-Mode7 for fancy graphics) script with free rotation so you don't have to stick to the 8- or even 4-direction standard movement which would feel rather awkward when racing with car-like devices.

Another way is to do a top-down view without 3D-like graphics and use a 'pixel movement' script for free movement between 32x32 tiles.

As for the AI part, I think you could just take one of the pathfinding scripts and then define a couple of waypoints from start to finish which are then visited by the NPC one after the other. The better pathfinding scripts already inlcude important functions like finding a way around obstacles that weren't there before (for example the player trying to block his opponent, or previously used items).

To further improve this system and make the game more challenging you could check where the opponent and the player are and when the difference exceeds a certain amount make the opponent faster for a limited period, increase the chance for stronger items etc.

Allmost all these things can be done by simply pasting the scripts and then controlling them in events. However I do not think that the racing itself can be elaborated well enough to be a major part of the game, as a minigame however it would be cool. Go for it :smile:

What Moonpearl said is kinda balderdash. There are even scripts around that give you the possibility to make a 3D ego shooter in RPG Maker. The community has been creating some really outstanding enhancements in the last couple years. But he/she is right in a way; it would require in-depth scripting knowledge in order to improve those systems to such a degree that they are good enough to be a bigger part of a game.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.