Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

"Quick" Skills

This is basically what I'm asking for:

You've got a skill, let's call it "Battle Stance". You use it, you go under the state of the battle stance for x turns. I want a skill like this to be useful, but if you have to use a turn to go into it every couple of turns it's annoying and if you get to keep it the whole battle it's too easy.

I want something, like say, if in the skills notes it says "quick" for the skill to be used and then instead of going to the next actor it goes back to the same actor so after using the skill he can then perform an attack or use another skill.

Hopefully I explained it well, I hope it's not actually very complicated to do. ._.

Sounds a bit complecated... Why don't you just make it so that the skill last a little longer to make up for that one turn lost. INFACT, you can make the skill a lot stronger and use the 1 turn take up as a good way to balance the skill out. I'm not sure why you need a script on this one to fix something you can actualy use to your advantage.

Because you may want to use quick skills every couple of turns, therefore more than one turn would be wasted.

It doesn't have to be complicated, it just takes a little creativity and knowledge of ruby (the latter of which I don't posses) to get something going >.<

A scriptless solution for this could be making the so-called "quick" skill force an action on everyone to "do nothing". That way, apart from things like status effects, you don't lose your turn.
This is assuming VX still has that option...which I guess is a reasonable assumption, I should download VX and check XD

What if the player decided to use the same skill again. Will it keep on going forever or should the same skill become disabled after first used? It's not difficult to do , though.

yeah, my idea was just a simple one to avoid having to do tedious stuff. Just making everyone else skip the rest of their turn would be the easiest way IMO to simulate the current character NOT losing a turn

But that'll mess up the other part of the gameplay. Like, bad status effect,which you already mention, boss that plays with number of turns, etc. It's more tedious than working with script though :(

After the first time they use the quick skill, they can no longer use another quick skill without it using up their turn.

Like...

If Quick Skill and Quick Skill = true
Repeat turn and Quick Skill = false

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.