Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Questman: AoE [A Sci-Fantasy Adventure/Comedy]

This stems from an idea I had in the days of the very first RPG makers. It was actually the first project I ever had a considerable amount of progress with. But, looking back, as I was just a kid at the time, it wasn't really near my current standards, and so I left it behind...

...Until the concept popped back into my mind randomly the other day...

Now, revamped and re-imagined, I've decided to make a side-project based on this old work of mine... *achem*

questmanlogo2.png

(Still working on a better subtitle...)

qmstorytag.png

"The Legend of The Silver Star" is a rather obscure RPG series. Not the greatest games ever made, but definitely not the worst. Based in a science-fantasy setting, it tells the tale of a group of heroes who fight to keep evil extradimensional entities from taking over the world. Despite it not being very popular in the mainstream, the game has gained a cult following of devoted fans.

Though a small number of people find this little game to be of no importance to many on one side of the screen...

...On the other, it's a completely different story.

Inside the game, the characters live and breathe just like we do, and, when no one is playing, an unseen battle rages behind the scenes.

Recently, the Heroes have been battling the evil Yotengo Corporation on their own for quite some time now, as they threaten to dominate the world of the entire game. However, the greedy corporation, which is actually a front for an evil extradimensional entity called the "Dark Master", has put up a benevolent front before the good citizens of the Silver Star, and claim to be aiding in the battle. They come before the king and claim that the game's heroes are not powerful enough to beat the evil forces threatening the world, and gain his approval to create the Questmen, an army of androids designed to replace the heroes, which was really an effort to get the 'good guys' out of the way so that they can carry out their insidious plot without interruption.

The Questman project turned out to be a colossal failure, and the androids were thus banished to the forests, where they became common "minion" enemies in the game, who also have their own society, but live in conditions of poverty. Having trouble adapting to these conditions, many of the questmen were destroyed by the heroes, or fell victim to cruel fate.

Eventually, all of the questmen were gone except for one, who continued among the minions until one day, he grew sick of being insignificant and decided to do something about it. Rather than die like his brethren, he decided to become a "boss" in the game by first defeating a boss of the game world, then going to the Master of Games himself, the supreme entity that is responsible for the continued existence of the Silver Star world, and requesting a boss crest, which will make him powerful enough to become a worthy opponent of the heroes...

...However, once Yotengo hears of this, they set out to stop the last Questman in whatever way they can, as his ascension to a position of boss may threaten their corporate empire, and in turn uncover a terrible secret that could spell doom for the game world and ours!

qmcharacterstag.png

Questman:
A "Random Encounter" minion from the Silver Star video game world, and the player's character. Being the last of his kind, this once nameless android has adopted the name of what was once his people as his own personal one. Questman has grown weary of feeling worthless, and has set out to become a boss by defeating the other bosses in the game. He often comes off as ambitious and defiant, and is skilled at manipulating others. His weapon of choice is an upgradable weapon system on his wrist.

Shade:
Another failed experiment created by Yotengo, Shade is a being made entirely of dark matter. Despite his intimidating appearance, he is kind-hearted, and wants to help Questman become a boss so that the minions can have someone in power that can make life more pleasant for them.

Sark:
Sark is a simple alley cat who, for unknown reasons, is sapient and has the ability to speak. He has similar motives to Questman in that he also wishes to become a boss because of disliking being ignored. He has a very sarcastic, wisecracking and cynical personality, and fights using his claws, fangs and animal instincts.

Simon:
Simon is a slime, a species considered to be the lowest of all pests in the Silver Star world. Unbeknownst to the species that detest them, the slimes are in fact the most intelligent creatures on the planet, and operate a very well functioning society underneath the ground. Simon aids Questman in his journey for reasons that involve the fate of the universe itself, which must be kept a secret for the time being, but are revealed little by little as the story goes on.

I know it's nowhere near perfect, but I'm still working on it. What do you guys think so far?

Its cool how you revamped an old project of yours.

So Questman:AOE is a game about a game? The story and characters take place within a game world called The legend of the silver star. Is there anything outside of this gameworld thats significant or are you using it as a framing device?

coyotecraft":3ubadbq5 said:
Is there anything outside of this gameworld thats significant or are you using it as a framing device?

The game world is a framing device, yes. Similar to the way Tron takes place inside of a computer world. In fact, a lot of the humor in the game will poke fun at video game tropes.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.