Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Quest Book - version 1.2

Zeriab

Sponsor

I would suggest keeping track of the progress with variables for the first to items and getting the blueprint with a switch.
If you use variable 4 to keep track of the amount of Galimura+ Automatons killed, variable 6 for Automaton Generators and turn switch 27 ON when you have gotten the blue print, then the quest criteria for the next quest part should be: (NOT the one where you list the tasks)
[rgss]qc = Quest_Criteria.new(["Variable", 4, ">=", 50],
                        ["Variable", 6, ">=", 5],
                        ["Switch", 27, true])
[/rgss]

That way when you have done all the tasks you will automatically see the next quest part.
Note: This will have no effect in-game other than change which quest part is displayed.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Quick question, bro. How would one go about making a quest with multiple choices? For example, what if instead of giving Mr. Bean the cake the main character eats it? And thus ending the quest.

Zeriab

Sponsor

You can't. It is only possible to have 1 completed quest part.
Well... There is the tedious option of using a bunch of variables, where you set some text too them.
You know, like having

\v[1]
\v[2]
\v[3]

And then using a script call where you set $game_variables[1] = "The main character ate the cake"
and likewise for 2, and 3.

*hugs*

uh.. sorry Zeriab, but, the link you gave for the demo, the script and the examples is not working for me.
Can you upload the script and examples to other provider? Like mediafire? it's a good one.

Please help.
It's a nice script, and very useful as well.

SP27

Sponsor

Just what I was looking for! :lol:

But I'm just wondering...
All quests are open right off the bat in your demo, but is there a way to "hide" them until you "discover" the quests?

It would totally rock if it did! :biggrin:

Zeriab

Sponsor

I am glad you like it :D

They are open as soon as one of the quest part's conditions are fulfilled.
So yeah, it's definitely possible to hide the quests until you want to show them. I actually thought I showed that in the demo >_>
Note that you cannot hide quests after you have shown them.

You can try to set variable 1 to something above 1. Try setting it to say 4. (Do it before you open the quest book)
Then try to open the quest book.
Set it to 0 or 1 and open the quest book again.

*hugs*

Zeriab, awesome script you have there!

I was wondering, I read the above comments, and if you had a normal menu, how do you get a button to access the skillbook from the menu?
Basically just what jasnorme asked.

Thanks in advance!

Zeriab

Sponsor

Do you want a specific button which pressed gives you the quest book?
Or do you want to let it be an item just like "Item", "Skill", "Save" and etc?

The former is easy. Here you'll get the quest book up by pressing F8:
[rgss]class Scene_Menu
  unless method_defined?:)zeriab_qb_update_command)
    alias_method:)zeriab_qb_update_command, :update_command)
  end
  def update_command
    if Input::press?(Input::F8)
      $scene = Scene_Questbook.new
    end
    zeriab_qb_update_command
  end
end
[/rgss]

The latter more tedious. At least to create a plug'n'play snippet. It's not that difficult to edit by hand.

*hugs*

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.