Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pushing Crates

Hi. I would like a script that changes a character's regular graphic to one of him/her pushing a crate or other object when he/she pushes the object. I am using Dargor's Party changing script, and I would need the script to update the "pushing" graphic of the character appearing on the screen(I'm not using a caterpillar script, so only the character in the lead of the party is displayed). I create the pushing events as an event in the game, not using a script, so all I need is for the script to call a pushing graphic when the character is pushing the crate.

PS. I'm using the (original) SDK, so it would have to be compatible with that.

Thanks!

I can make the event ok. Using just the event, I can make it display a specific character pushing the crate (I have a seperate push graphic for each character) and I can make the crate move, etc. I hjave absolutely no problem if there is just ONE character in the party. I can't do it regardless of who is in the lead of the party because in the event.

For example, if just the main character is in the party (let's call him John), I have no problem. I can make him push the crate, change his graphic while he's doing, etc. How I do that is by specifically writing that particular character into the event; I use the Set Move Route, and change the actor graphic to John_Push. John's graphic changes, and I have no problem.

My problem is, if I have 2 characters, say John and Jane, I can use Dargor's party change script to make it so Jane is displayed on the screen at ANY time. If I use the same method as I used earlier, once Jane pushes the crate, John's pushing graphic would be displayed.

I thought of trying to turn on a switch for each seperate character when they are in the lead of the party, but that seems like a pain and I'm not exactly sure how to do that since I can access Dargor's Party changing script at ANY time from the main menu, (ie NOT using an event). I don't know anything about scripting, but it seems like that would be the way to go here rather than seperately writing each character into each push event.

Any ideas? (If this isn't clear, please let me know...)

Yes, conditional branch...

event: conditional branch

if character x
change grahpics to character x pushing
else if character y
change graphics to character y pushing
and so on...

It would be best implemented in event but you want it to be generalized into a script?

If yes, well, this should be a piece of cake to average scripters.

Well I think I can help with that again but you may not like it.

Create a equip item called Power glove or whatever, Have a if Statement check who's got it equipped, and it should change the graphic, otherwise, I guess you could consult a script.

Outcast;313692 said:
Well I think I can help with that again but you may not like it.

Create a equip item called Power glove or whatever, Have a if Statement check who's got it equipped, and it should change the graphic, otherwise, I guess you could consult a script.

Hmm...How would the character's change who is wearing such an item? I mean, I can change the graphic of the character at any time, so how would I change who's wearing the item?

darky000;313674 said:
Yes, conditional branch...

event: conditional branch

if character x
change grahpics to character x pushing
else if character y
change graphics to character y pushing
and so on...

It would be best implemented in event but you want it to be generalized into a script?

If yes, well, this should be a piece of cake to average scripters.

I would think this would be easy for someone who knows about scripting...sadly, that isn't me! As for he conditional branch, I'm not sure I get how it would check the character graphic that is being displayed...where are you getting the if character x part? I can see a if character x is in the party, but character x may not be in the lead...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.