Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

PSP games choice

Sion

Im getting a PSP for my birthday, and hopefully two games with it.

So heres the deal, I want to choose two games which contrast, at the moment my best options are Tales of eternia, and Locoroco, one is serious roleplaying, the other is light fun. A good pair no matter what mood your in. I was looking at VP:Lenneth, but It doesnt seem to be out in the UK.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Marcus

Sponsor

Tales of Eternia and LocoRoco should tie you over well enough. I don't know about PAL game releases so my best recommendation are those two. You could also get Breath of Fire 3 but capcoms built in emulator sucks HARD and the loading times are terrible. Just wait for Sony's ps1 emulator to pick BoF.

Marcus

Sponsor

ryanwh said:
LocoRoco gets old quick. Its gameplay is hollow. Id wait a while and get brave story.
Depends on if you like the genre or not. I'm a perfectionist so I can't stop playing it until I collect everything. If you really like platform/exploration/puzzle games then you'll enjoy Loco... if not, then buy Lumines instead. As long as you don't discover the infinite combo trick Lumines will hold you over for a while.

I really like puzzle games, that's why Loco sucked. If I really liked any game with cutsey characters, I could enjoy Loco and Pololocrois but theirgameplay is lacking and completely repetitive and(in loco's case) some bad design descisions that result in your rpelaying the same levels over and over if you want a perfect score. That's not a good dynamic to have when the levels arent that fun to begin with, just annoying do to the unresponsive controls .They're just cute for me, not fun.

Sion

Im a fan of RPGs, platformers and the odd Action-adventure. Maybe I'll get Tales of eternia and POP:revelations. Although I have already played pop:ww all the way through (with secret ending) on the ps2...so..

Rain

Sponsor

Sion said:
Im getting a PSP for my birthday, and hopefully two games with it.

So heres the deal, I want to choose two games which contrast, at the moment my best options are Tales of eternia, and Locoroco, one is serious roleplaying, the other is light fun. A good pair no matter what mood your in. I was looking at VP:Lenneth, but It doesnt seem to be out in the UK.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Those were the exact two games I was going to recommend to you lol.

Or maybe you might enjoy Metal Gear Ac!d 1 or 2?

Or if your looking for a light relief game, maybe Me and My Katamari?

Lumines is an awesome game to get. Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 aren't worth it, in my opinion... But if you are an MGS fan, the new one's a good pick! I dunno when it comes out though...

Sion said:
Im a fan of RPGs, platformers and the odd Action-adventure. Maybe I'll get Tales of eternia and POP:revelations. Although I have already played pop:ww all the way through (with secret ending) on the ps2...so..

Either of the Megamans fill this choice (Megaman Powered Up or Megaman Maverick Hunter X).

Megaman Powered Up even has a level creator mode and on-line so you can exchange levels on-line. Capcom even releases levels of their own for the really die-hard Megaman fans. Just don't get it if you don't like childish graphics.

Maverick Hunter X is worth it for the extras after you beat the game alone (I won't spoil it, but a quick look around on line will give them away if you really wanna know).

Untold Legends is also good if you are looking for a top-down adventure game.

For racing games, I'd reccomend Wipeout Pure- good soundtrack and upgrades online. For RPG's, I'd reccomend PoPoLoCrois or Y's Ark of Naphastim. For good ol' puzzle and namcoesque games, Lumines, LocoRobo, and Me and My Katamari are good.

Sion

Whats the differences between white and black psps?

I know the whites buttons stick out further, and the umd disc reader is stronger...and scratches and finger prints show up less, but is there anything else?

ok white psps don't come with 1.5 firmware

currently 1.5 firmware psp's can play all types of homebrew including nes, snes, n64 emulators and many more things. (do to an exploit in the firmware) However, some games require firmwares above 1.5

Booster has released homebrew called DevHook, which basically emulates another psp firmware on a 1.5 psp. This allows you to play all games up to version 2.71 firmware.

So if u want a psp with homebrew and many more stuff to do for free (or illegally like pirating psp games...), try to get a black psp.

Although there are methods to downgrade psp's, you have to have gta and a psp that is compatible (some newer psp's have different manufacturing or something so they don't work)

Sion

Mmmm...

There's no chance im going to get gta, so downgrading is not an option. DevHook is intresting though, Do you mean it runs homebrew stuff on an upgraded firmware, or that it stands in for the firmware?

Marcus

Sponsor

The Devhook emulates up to 2.71 PSPs. I have a 1.5 PSP and I play all of my games perfectly.

I noticed I never actually recommended you any games. Well, check these games out...

RPGs:

PoPoLoCrois (i recommend this)
Legend of Heroes: Tears of Vermillion
Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
Blade Dancer (really bad story but the fucking awesome battle system makes up for it)
Kingdom of Paradise (it's an action rpg that's pretty decent)
Valkyrie Profile (if you haven't played the ps1 version, I highly recommend this)
Ys: Ark of Napishtim (better than the PS2 version, which is saying a lot because the ps2 version sucked)
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade/Warriors Code (good if you like randomized dungeon hack/slashers)
Tales of Eternia (if you didn't get the U.S. version of Tales of Destiny 2, grab this)
Astonishia Stories (really bad... yet really charming; it was like someone made it in RMXP. Don't buy this at all unless you're hardcore like me)

Platformers:

Megaman Powered Up
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
Capcom Classics (highly recommended for oldschool lovers... it has STRYDER... STRYDER!)
Gradius Collections (not a platformer at all but it's the best Gradius collection available)
Lemmings (best version of Lemmings to date)
Metal Slug Anthology (not out until next month but contains EVERY Metal Slug game with wireless multiplayer co-op!)
LocoRoco

Action Adventure

Death Jr.
Coded Arms (the controls aren't as bad as everyone claims and it's one of the few First Person Shooter/RPGs left)
Medievil (excellent remake of one of my favorite dark comedy/action games on the ps1)
Tokobots
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
Metal Gear Ac!d (I actually enjoy this series; it has some excellent villains)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.