Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Potion Mixing Minigame v1.1

Eilei

Sponsor

I'm a semi-new user at RMXP, so this is the script I did to teach myself Ruby and learn about the RGSS. Many thanks to all the people in #rmxp for their help.

Potion Mixing Minigame v 1.1

Features
  • Completely random boards, not a limited number of presets. This does mean that very rarely there will be unsolvable boards.
  • Fully editable list of mixable potions. Just reference item IDs of potions you've already made, or add new ones with the icons included in the demo.
  • Fully extendible recipe list. Add as many recipes as you want!
  • Variable control of potion ingredient count, from 2 to 4 by default
  • Optional timer for making the minigame a little more fast-paced
  • Optional pumping length restrictions for making the minigame a little more strategic

Screenshot
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6933/screeenshotkg3.th.png[/IMG]

Download
Download the Demo here.

Legalese
This script is copyright me, as specified in the script comments, and is being distributed under GNU copyleft. Essentially, that means you can download it and edit it all you want for free, as long as you aren't selling it.

===================================

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

Wonderful idea Eilei. It's really fantastic doing these potions (eheheh, i can't stop too:D). For a first script ( you know, i don't believe it), it's a excellent work. Tell me, where did you learn to script so fast?

gah, this is too perfect for my alchemist character! Thanks so much. Why not add an optional timer? Makes things more hectic

WoW, this is the greatest script that i see, because you made and you are an auto-denominated New-User. congratulations, this is a great script, very creative and easy and addictive.

I have a question, its posibble erase the Pipes Part, and only use the item combination to make a kind of Cook System?

Eilei

Sponsor

arachus;272260 said:
Wonderful idea Eilei. It's really fantastic doing these potions (eheheh, i can't stop too:D). For a first script ( you know, i don't believe it), it's a excellent work. Tell me, where did you learn to script so fast?

Well, it's not my first script--just my first script in Ruby, and for RMXP. Once you know a few programming languages, a new language is just syntax and custom.

Mimi Chan;272269 said:
gah, this is too perfect for my alchemist character! Thanks so much. Why not add an optional timer? Makes things more hectic

A timer would be great, but it was a level of complexity I didn't want to include in this first version. Look for it in the future, certainly!
mephisto;272284 said:
I have a question, its posibble erase the Pipes Part, and only use the item combination to make a kind of Cook System?

Of course; that would really be very easy to do, without any game or animations and such. Is this something other people are interested in?

And everyone else, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad people like this.

now time to throw up some more ideas

1. It would be awkward without explanation why 'do you need a timer when you are just mixing some potions?' You could like put time values on potions, like red potion can withstand outside air for 30 secs. before it loses its healing effect. While yellow has a tolerance of only 20 secs. So if you would add Red and Yellow, you have 20 secs of making orange potion, 21-29 secs you can have red, more than 30 however...potion spoils so you get brown? Kinda tricky but it seems interesting to me.

2. It would be weird for the potion to travel long pipes without loosing some liquids in doing so. So potions again have an amount of pipes it can only travel. If it travels more than the pipe in can handle, you will be faced with a chance to fail.

well i guess thats all the thing i can think of.

*goes back mixing potions*

Hmm, strange. When I am already in the scene, and I run out of say, Blue potions, it displays that I have 0 yet I seem to be able to still mix them.

Eilei

Sponsor

kaze950;272348 said:
Hmm, strange. When I am already in the scene, and I run out of say, Blue potions, it displays that I have 0 yet I seem to be able to still mix them.

Ah, wonderful. Thank you for pointing this out; it will be fixed when I update it next.

In the meantime, you can fix it yourself by adding the line in red to the following section of the ingredients_update method of Scene_PotionMinigame:
Code:
    # If C button was pressed
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      # Skip out if they selected an empty item
      if @ingredient_window.item.nil?
        return
      end
      # Get currently selected data on the item window
      for i in 0...INGREDIENT_MAX
        if @ingredients[ i ].empty?
          # If it can't be used
          unless Potion.mixable?( @ingredient_window.item.id )
            # Play buzzer SE
            $game_system.se_play( $data_system.buzzer_se )
            return
          end
          # Decrease used items by 1
          @ingredients[ i ].potion_id = @ingredient_window.item.id
          $game_party.lose_item( @ingredients[i].potion_id, 1 )
          break
        end
      end
      # Play decision SE
      $game_system.se_play( $data_system.decision_se )
      # Draw ingredient window item
      @ingredient_window.draw_item( @ingredient_window.index )
      [COLOR=Red]@ingredient_window.refresh[/COLOR]
    end

Eilei

Sponsor

foxbuster;272460":261bwm2g said:
Great work indeed!
But is it possible to make a version that doesn't need the SDK?

All it really needs is Scene_Base from Part I. You could copy and paste just that class without much problem.

Mimi Chan;272331":261bwm2g said:
now time to throw up some more ideas

1. It would be awkward without explanation why 'do you need a timer when you are just mixing some potions?' You could like put time values on potions, like red potion can withstand outside air for 30 secs. before it loses its healing effect. While yellow has a tolerance of only 20 secs. So if you would add Red and Yellow, you have 20 secs of making orange potion, 21-29 secs you can have red, more than 30 however...potion spoils so you get brown? Kinda tricky but it seems interesting to me.

2. It would be weird for the potion to travel long pipes without loosing some liquids in doing so. So potions again have an amount of pipes it can only travel. If it travels more than the pipe in can handle, you will be faced with a chance to fail.

well i guess thats all the thing i can think of.

*goes back mixing potions*

I've been mulling this over, and a limited number of pipes would definitely be easier than a timer, but both are doable. I'll add optional limits to the list for the next version.

Eilei;272577 said:
All it really needs is Scene_Base from Part I. You could copy and paste just that class with much problem.

I'll check it out, thanks... However my battle system is not compatible with SDK, hope it doesn't glitch... XD

Oh yes, one thing that should be added into the next one, is the ability to let the player decide the number of potions to mix. Like, you could make it so the player could either mix 2 potions or however many he wants (Most game makers would probably want a limit though)

Thus, while mixing 3+ potions might make a better result, it's slightly harder to get them all to connect.

Eilei

Sponsor

kaze950;272746 said:
Oh yes, one thing that should be added into the next one, is the ability to let the player decide the number of potions to mix. Like, you could make it so the player could either mix 2 potions or however many he wants (Most game makers would probably want a limit though)

Thus, while mixing 3+ potions might make a better result, it's slightly harder to get them all to connect.

Actually, this is already sort of a hidden feature. Just change INGREDIENT_MAX to the maximum number of potions you want to mix at a time. I haven't tested much over 2, and you'd have to manually add recipes for 3+ ingredients.

It's still hardcoded, though, and not a player choice. Maybe next release I will include it as such.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.