Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pokemon (the animated series)

I am considering buying Pokemon DVDs, having not seen the anime for at least ten years at this point. I watched it religiously, every Saturday morning, when it came out. (<3 SM:TV Live)

I stopped watching a couple of episodes before they opened the G.S ball (but apparently they didn't open it anyway). Loved all of it.

Am I going to be disappointed a decade on?

The DVDs are £80 collectively for three box sets for the ~80 ep original series and the ~20 ep Orange Islands. Not sure about series 3.

Also not then sure the DVDs are even available. Would I be even more disappointed still following it after the G.S ball incident? How about all the way up to present, are the current black and white series' awful, or do they have the same charm and... almost decent story telling?

One major, major, MAJOR piece of advice for you: If you haven't watched something in a decade, ALWAYS try before you buy, just in case. It doesn't matter how old you were when you saw it, what you remember is very likely to be seen as better than it actually was due to the fondness having slowly warped the memories over time. Trust me on this one. And this is especially important when dealing with things you watched as a kid or young teenager, when you were likely less aware of things like poor voice acting, poor animation, poor scripting and/or plot elements, and shoddy quality in general. At that age, you're much more likely to overlook or completely miss those things if something is "fun" or "cool".

(It's worth noting that all of those deficiencies crop up somewhere in the first few seasons of the Pokémon anime, especially regarding voice acting and scripting.)

I never watched Pokemon 'cept for the first movie that came out.

Related to what glitchfinder was talking about, when I was a kid I watch TV through a lot of static because antennas needed tuning and living in the middle of nowhere with poor reception doesn't help. So I was probably using more of my imagination at the time, and now watching it in clear HD I can see just how low quality it was.
lol, I found an old vhs tape of a digimon episode I recorded and I could hardly make out what was going on, it was mostly sound and snow, but I distinctly remember pausing the tape to draw from as a kid.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.