Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pokemon MysticAurelian Version

(Junnin, and such is credited to MagesPages as these are originally his ideas.)
I'm working on a Pokemon FireRed Version rom hack named Pokemon MysticAurelian Version based off of the artwork of MagesPages (later known as PokePages). A gallery of his stuff can be seen here: ( http://imgur.com/a/mdQMp#0"]http://imgur.com/a/mdQMp#0 and here: http://imgur.com/a/mJ8hT#6 )
Screenshots below, and please excuse the poor quality of some of the gallery art, MagesPages took down his art a few years ago for no known reason and it's now scattered all over the internet. As for anybody wondering about the rights of my usage of his art, he hasn't been around for years. He disappeared around 2008-2009, removed all of his art from his old dA account (aside from the 500x500 pieces scattered around the internet), deactivated his newer dA account, and even shut down his email listed on his new dA account (you get an "invalid recipent" and such), so I'm pretty much in the clear. He's getting credit, of course.

A basic synopsis of Pokemon MysticArelian Version:
*Is set in a new region named Junnin, with +80 new Pokemon. The region is somewhat influenced by Australia.
*The professor's name is Pine, who works in a wild-life reserve and studies Pokemon ecology. Instead of the hero/herione and their rival getting their starter Pokemon from Pokeballs, they instead have hatched from Pokemon eggs and start out at level 1.
*The three starter Pokemon are the Small-Leaf Pokemon Eucuwala (A highly social green koala bear Pokemon, with physical oriented stats), the Swinging Pokemon Kindlemur (An agile lemur Pokemon, with speed oriented stats), and the Fin Pokemon Dimetrus (An aquatic dimetrodon Pokemon, with physical and special defensive oriented stats).
*The main villainous team of the region is named Team Zodiac, and aside from grunts, spies, and scientists, is split into 12 sub-admins based off of the western zodiac and a main admin, based and named after Ophiuchus. They are after the legendary Pokemon Orakey, said to hold all of the answers to the universe. The sub-admins appearances, personalities, and type speciality (if any) are based off of their respective zodiacs. For example, Sub-Admin(s) Pisces are actually male and female twins, specialize in Water and Ice type Pokemon, and have a bad habit of interrupting each other.

Screenshots:
Title screen
So, what's your name, kid?
Charge Town

Sprites:
Professor Pine
Aiden (Hero)
Eucuwala back sprites
Kindlemur back sprites
Dimetrus back sprites
Orakey (mascot/main legendary)

Poll. Input desired!
1. Which existing starters should stay in the rom hack, Gen I, Gen II, Gen III, Gen IV, or Gen V? What I was going to do was offer two sets of
starters mid-game to late game as six different in-game trades. You can pick one of the six trades, but the rest vanish once you do.
The set you didn't pick is then offered as a reward for a post-game quest.

2. Which Pokemon do you think should stay, if any in particular? Your suggestion(s) doesn't have to be before Generation IV. If you suggest a
Pokemon, should there be any changes made? Like new moves, via egg moves, level, tm, tutor, etc. Base stats, ability changes, balancing, etc.
Nothing un-nessasary though please, constructive changes only. The list below is a reserved slots list, due to pre-evo/new-evo plans based off
of MagesPages' source art:

Tropius (pre-evo)
Aerodactyl (pre-evo)
Murkrow (pre-evo)
Honchkrow (included because previous evolution has a new pre-evo)
Mr. Mime (evo)
Skarmory (pre-evo)
Riolu (split-evo, technically sort of...female versions, like miltank and tauros)
Lucario (split-evo, technically sort of...female versions, like miltank and tauros)
Smoochum (included because it's evolution has a new evo)
Jynx (evo)
Omanyte (evo)
Omastar (evo)
Smeargle (pre-evo)
Tangela (pre-evo)
Tangrowth (included because previous evolution has a new pre-evo)
Sneasel (pre-evo)
Weavile (included because previous evolution has a new pre-evo)
Phanpy (included because it's evolution has a new evo)
Donphan (evo) (might remove, MagesPages drew the art for this as a request, and the requester doesn't support projects that use an artist's work without permission)
Sableye (evo)

3. What should the heroine look like?
Hair style? Hair color? Clothes? Such as what type of shoes? What sort of t-shirt? Any accesories such as like watches?
What color should her backpack be?

4. What should the rival be like and look like?
What should be the default name(s)? What sort of personality? Snooty and cocky like Gen I's rival? Cruel and antagonistic like Gen II's rival?
Friendly like the later generation rivals? A composition/something more complex? Any motives or goals they have?
Any particular past events in their lives?
Hair style? Hair color? Clothes? Such as what type of shoes? What sort of t-shirt? Any accesories such as like sunglasses?

5. See this map below? It has a list of numbered markers, which are unknown/un-named areas.
Any ideas of what each of these areas should be, what sort of Pokemon they have
available (including of the regional dex; http://imgur.com/a/mdQMp#0, so please look at that before listing any suggested Pokemon!),
what purpose should they fill, etc? (ignore 21, that's the Junnin Pokemon League)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/589 ... arkers.png

Starter Stats (input desired)
The following is in review and help/advice would be great.

Eucuwala, so far, is characterized as a physical fighter with semi-poor Special stats, and somewhat above average HP/Speed.
Base stats/Info:
Type: Grass (Later Grass/Fighting)
Ability: Leaf Guard
Leaf Guard
HP: 55
ATK: 68
DEF: 55
SP ATK: 45
SP DEF: 45
SPEED: 50
Total: 318
EVs: 1 ATK EV
Egg groups: Human-like/Field
Starting moves: Scratch, and Leer
Ideal TMs/HMs: Focus Punch, Bulk Up, Bullet Seed, Sunny Day, Giga Drain, Toxic, Hidden Power, Protect, Rain Dance, Frustration, Solar Beam, Grass Knot, Return, Double Team, Facade, Rest, Attract and Brick Break/Strength and Rock Smash
===
Kindlemur, so far, is characterized as a fast special fighter with below-average physical stats, and somewhat below-average HP and high base speed.
Base stats/Info:
Type: Fire
Ability: Flash Fire
HP: 40
ATK: 42
DEF: 41
SP ATK: 62
SP DEF: 55
SPEED: 66
Total: 306
EVs: 1 SPD EV
Egg groups: Human-like/Field
Starting moves: Scratch, and Leer
Ideal TMs/HMs: Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Hone Claws, Toxic, Hidden Power, Taunt, Protect, Frustration, Return, Double Team, Facade, Flame Charge, Rest, Attract, Low Sweep, Round, Overheat, Fling, Incinerate, Will-O-Wisp, and Acrobatics/Flash and Rock Smash
===
Dimetrus, so far, is characterized as a defensive Pokemon with above-average physical stats, average HP, average speed, and semi-poor special stats.
Base stats/Info:
Type: Water (Later Water/Dark)
Ability: Water Veil
HP: 50
ATK: 50
DEF: 65
SP ATK: 48
SP DEF: 64
SPEED: 45
Total: 322
EVs: 1 DEF EV
Egg groups: Dragon/Water 1
Starting moves: Tackle, and Tail Whip
Ideal TMs/HMs: Hone Claws, Dragon Claw, Water Pulse, Roar, Ice Beam, Taunt, Torment, Fling, Thief, Payback, Blizzard, Light Screen, Shadow Claw, Protect, Reflect, Rain Dance, Dig, Torment, Thief, Snatch and Rest/Surf, Dive, and Waterfall

Charge%20Town.png

Big update! Finally finished mapping the home town of my Pokemon rom hack, Charge Town. It's mapped and all but I still have all the scripting/dialog to do.

So, I guess I'll link you here too, since I'm unsure if you'll notice in the post what's on your mind thread. I'd recommend that you check out The PokéCommunity Forums if you haven't already. They have one of the biggest English-language repository of Pokémon rom-hacking guides, tutorials, and tools in the world.

Glitchfinder":icbskxt6 said:
So, I guess I'll link you here too, since I'm unsure if you'll notice in the post what's on your mind thread. I'd recommend that you check out The PokéCommunity Forums if you haven't already. They have one of the biggest English-language repository of Pokémon rom-hacking guides, tutorials, and tools in the world.
I actually already have an account there!

LaDestitute":1fplr8cw said:
Glitchfinder":1fplr8cw said:
I actually already have an account there!

All right, I was just making sure. I haven't logged into my account there in three or so years, I think. I still have some old tutorials hanging around the last page of the ROMHacking tutorials section, but I think tools have started covering what my tutorials did, and my tutorials were purely for hex editing.

Major update.
I've got bad news, but good news too!

The bad news:
My computer died last morning, as she wouldn't turn on. Not sure if it's a bad PSU or bad motherboard as for the cause, but I'll have to wait and see as for what exactly happened. I'm planning on buying a PSU unit tester and a SATA to USB hard-drive cable (for transferring some files to my laptop) in the mean time. In any case, my OS partition/files are relatively safe.

The good news:
The files for my rom hack were not harmed or lost in any way, as I had a backup from the day before the hardware failure via dropbox.

121/151 Pokemon (30 free slots)
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/mdQMp#0

Junnin Regional Pokedex (First Draft)
#001: Eucuwala (Grass)
#002: Gulacuff (Grass/Fighting)
#003: Timberawl (Grass/Fighting)
#004: Kindlemur (Fire)
#005: Burmurly (Fire/Flying)
#006: Merculey (Fire/Flying)
#007: Dimetrus (Water)
#008: Permidon (Water/Dark)
#009: Lividon (Water/Dark)
#010: Aromutt♀ (Normal)
#011: Odorog (Normal)
#012: Aromutt♂ (Normal)
#013: Dodorog (Normal)
#014: Baybolt (Electric)
#015: Bolteen (Electric)
#016: Chinchul (Normal)
#017: Chilleap (Normal)
#018: Chiquail (Normal/Flying)
#019: Mavriquail (Normal/Flying)
#020: Tuttby (Psychic)
#021: Whiscleo (Psychic)
#022: Pharoar (Psychic/Ground)
#023: Smoochum (Ice/Psychic) *2
#024: Jynx (Ice/Psychic) *2
#025: Pryncice (Ice/Psychic) *2
#026: Buffhilla (Grass/Ground)
#027: Bisommit (Grass/Ground)
#028: Phanpy (Ground)
#029: Donphan (Ground)
#030: Brawnvoy (Ground/Steel)
#031: Coyoco (Fire)
#032: Hoppiler (Bug)
#033: Cobworm (Bug)
#034: Hoppereign (Bug/Flying)
#035: Cocano (Grass)
#036: Tropius (Grass/Flying)
#037: Stuckarp (Water)
#038: Stuckry (Water)
#039: Dandaseed (Grass)
#040: Dandelie (Grass)
#041: Withereen (Grass)
#042: Tangulb (Grass)
#043: Tangela (Grass)
#044: Tangrowth (Grass)
#045: Sandstrum (Ground/Water)
#046: Sanderon (Ground/Water)
#047: Squeesel (Ice/Dark)
#048: Sneasel (Ice/Dark)
#049: Weavile (Ice/Dark)
#050: Bloatick (Bug/Dark)
#051: Suckeeto (Bug/Dark)
#052: Dumbkin (Grass)
#053: Frightern (Grass/Ghost)
#054: Sableye (Dark/Ghost)
#055: Goldogle (Dark/Steel)
#056: Rollip (Bug)
#057: Rollipod (Bug)
#058: Graplipede (Bug/Ground) (no picture available)
#059: Plubus (Water)
#060: Salamink (Water)
#061: Defibly (Electric)
#062: Bansheet (Ghost)
#063: Teepolter (Ghost)
#064: Murcherp (Dark/Flying)
#065: Murkrow (Dark/Flying)
#066: Honchkrow (Dark/Flying)
#067: Fawntia (Normal)
#068: Pupalette (Normal)
#069: Smeargle (Normal)
#070: Girafarig (Normal/Psychic)
#071: Zeberebez (Normal/Psychic or maybe Normal/Dark instead?) (no picture available)
#072: Riolu (Fighting)
#073: Lucario (Fighting/Steel)
#074: Lucaria (Fighting/Steel)
#075: Eevee (Normal)
#076: Vaporeon (Water)
#077: Jolteon (Electric)
#078: Flareon (Fire)
#079: Espeon (Psychic)
#080: Umbreon (Dark)
#081: Leafeon (Grass)
#082: Glaceon (Ice)
#083: Feathereon (Flying) (no picture available)
#084: Draceon (Dragon) (no picture available)
#085: Frostoss (Ice/Fighting)
#086: Cresentide (Water)
#087: Hermitab (Water or Water/Rock, Water/Steel, Water/Ice and Water/Grass) *1
#088: Snorunt (Ice)
#089: Glacie (Ice)
#090: Froslass (Ice/Ghost)
#091: Frozenight (Ice/Ghost) (no picture available)
#092: Kaboo (Ghost/Electric)
#093: Mime Jr. (Psychic)
#094: Mr. Mime (Psychic)
#095: Mastermime (Psychic)
#096: Ploworm (Steel/Bug)
#097: Lumbrill (Steel/Bug)
#098: Skarvenile (Steel/Flying)
#099: Skarmory (Steel/Flying)
#100: Natu (Psychic/Flying)
#101: Xatu (Psychic/Flying)
#102: Perchief (Psychic/Fighting)
#103: Unown (Psychic)
#104: Balilia (Grass/Water)
#105: Omanyte (Rock/Water)
#106: Omastar (Rock/Water)
#107: Omanaut (Rock/Water)
#108: Quartzac (Rock)
#109: Equazar (Rock)
#110: Jayzul (Normal/Flying)
#111: Jazure (Normal/Flying)
#112: Kidactyl (Rock/Flying)
#113: Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying)
#114: Tarift (Rock/Ground)
#115: Tarzorus (Rock/Ground)
#116: ???
#117: ???
#118: ???
#119: ???
#120: ???
#121: ???
#122: ???
#123: ???
#124: ???
#125: ???
#126: ???
#127: ???
#128: ???
#129: ???
#130: ???
#131: ???
#132: ???
#133: ???
#134: ???
#135: ???
#136: ???
#137: ???
#138: ???
#139: ???
#140: ???
#141: ???
#142: ???
#143: ???
#144: ???
#145: ???
#146: Cobalion (Steel/Fighting)
#147: Terrakion (Rock/Fighting)
#148: Virizion (Grass/Fighting)
#149: Reindolph (Ice/Flying)
#150: Orakey (Psychic)
#151: Keldeo (Water/Fighting)

*1: Maybe Water/Fire and Water/Poison as well.
*2: Might move further down the list.

Holy shit. I've never played a Pokemon game, so I couldn't give you much feedback or input. But this is looking slick as hell. If you finish it, I will make this the first Pokemon game I will ever play :D!~

Sorry for the lack of updates, recently. I'm on a different computer and my situation lately has been...hectic. No fast internet connection (at least until now! :D), Windows XP on this current computer being annoying, my main computer with Windows 7 is fried (but not broken, it's fixable, it's just a dead PSU unit that needs to be replaced), and a little bit depressed over losing a friend last week, to sum up some of the business lately.

Anyhow, I'm deciding on what Pokemon should go into the last 30 slots and so far, I have:

#123: Scyther (Bug/Flying)*1
#212: Scizor (Bug/Steel)*1
#285: Shroomish (Grass)
#286: Breloom (Grass/Fighting)
#618: Stunfisk (Electric/Ground)
#222: Corsola (Water/Rock)
#328: Trapinch (Ground)*2
#329: Vibrava (Ground/Dragon)*2
#330: Flygon (Ground/Dragon)*2
#333: Swablu (Normal/Flying)
#334: Altaria (Dragon/Flying)
#041: Zubat (Poison/Flying)
#042: Golbat (Poison/Flying)
#169: Crobat (Poison/Flying)
#167: Spinarak (Bug/Poison)
#168: Ariados (Bug/Poison)
#355: Duskull (Ghost)
#356: Dusclops (Ghost)
#477: Dusknoir (Ghost)
#562: Yamask (Ghost)
#563: Cofagrigus (Ghost)
#218: Slugma (Fire)
#219: Magcargo (Fire/Rock)
#228: Houndour (Dark/Fire)
#229: Houndoom (Dark/Fire)
#324: Torkoal (Fire)
#170: Chinchou (Water/Electric)
#171: Lanturn (Water/Electric)
#179: Mareep (Electric)
#180: Flaaffy (Electric)
#181: Ampharos (Electric)

*1: Scyther/Scizor or Yanma/Yanmega?
*2: Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon or Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus?
*3: I'm tempted to replace Chinchou/Lantern with Pikachu/Raichu, just cause...you know, Pikachu. :D
*4: I'm trying to stay budgeted here with my selection. I'm going for 2 Bug type Pokemon, 2 Fighting type Pokemon, 1 Ground type Pokemon, 1 Rock type Pokemon, 5 Dragon type Pokemon, 5 Poison type Pokemon, 5 Ghost type Pokemon, 5 Fire type Pokemon, and 5 Electric type Pokemon, all based on the type distribution for the regional dex (so far), and what types are most common/rarest. It's below, if you're curious. It counts both single type and dual type Pokemon. I might add more Poison type Pokemon though, since the current number is well...zero. Ouch.

Flying: 19
Grass: 18
Water: 17
Normal: 16
Psychic: 16
Ice: 14
Dark: 13
Steel: 10
Bug: 10
Fighting: 11
Ground: 11
Rock: 11
Ghost: 7
Fire: 5
Electric: 5
Poison: 0

It's alive!

So sorry for the lack of updates. I've been lately battling with sleeping problems/health problems, aside from a two week long bout of depression (maybe three week long, I think). I'm feeling a lot better now, and I've gotten back into the swing of things.

Onto the actual subject, here is the second gym city, Everquart Peak City (it has to be shortened to Everquart City due to in-game location name character limits). The second badge is the Peak Badge, a Flying type gym. On another note, a two gym demo may not be out for a long while, merely because I really want to polish the demo for best quality possible.

Everquart%20City-Large.png

I'm not sure exactly why, but all of the towns I've seen you demo feel REALLY empty when I think back on what the towns in R/S/E felt like. So I double checked, and yeah, they're really empty in comparison.

I can't offer specific suggestions on where to go with them, but for that new town the first thing I looked at was Sootopolis from R/S/E, and that had a lot of things like extra unused buildings, and it was built on a series of tiers up the interior of the peak.

Your towns feel very empty, because you don't introduce any interesting game designs in there. I mean, take a look at FRLG Cerulean City; in comparison, your city only have variable path thicknesses (which looks weird) and trees, as well tons of the exact same house. Cerulean's have slight differences in widths and such and ledges here and there, etc.
Pokemon-FL-CeruleanCity.png

Or look at my redesign of Pallet Town, if anything I've done the opposite of you and put too much stuff in it for its design;
palletTown_zpsada2e99f.png

No, I'm not dead or anything! I'm incredibly sorry for the horrendous three month delay between updates. The actual reason was that I got lazy and didn't really do any romhacking work, but I wasn't in the mood either. Since Pokemon X & Y is just a month and a half away or so, I got back into the mood!

Better late than never, right?

Also...

I also needed to focus more on my life and school, I have to admit. Seriously.

I know it ain't much, almost all of the tiles are default, and it looks a little hacked together like some poorly done DIY project, but here is Everquart City Gym! The gym leader's name is Cliff, and he specializes in Flying types! It's kind of ice themed, because the city is at the summit of a mountain, and it tends to snow a lot. The player will be pushed into a cavern basement from the icy tiles on 1F, and they'll have to press switches on 2F to create tiles on the ice that will keep them on the right track towards Cliff. It's recently been on my mind but I should probably make it a full ice floor, eh?

Everquart%20City%20Gym%20F1.png

The second trainer is female, my bad. Typo or something.

Anyway, you'll have two rivals. One male, and one female. The male will have the type match-up your starter is weak to while the female rival will have the type match-up your starter is strong against.

Hey, uh, even if the person who drew those 'mons has gone AWOL, it's really NOT okay to assume you have permission to use their stuff. I like their designs, but your sprite work looks like frankenspriting and some poor scratch work and your maps aren't that interesting. It doesn't sit with me well at all that you're working on this without their permission.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.